freezes while booting - graphics?

Axxer

7 posts in this topic

I installed it fine using Kalyway's disc, but when loading, everything seems to work until when it would normally load the GUI. It flashes a turquoise screen for an instant and then freezes - can't do anything.

I thought it is probably the graphics so I booted in -s mode and tried to do the BorisBadenov method which has always worked on my 10.4 system within mac os x. I found while modifying the files with my cards ID with emacs, I would get a read-only buffer. On a darwin manual it said i can use X-c/X-q to change that... messing around trying to interpret what that means i managed to change the buffer so that i could at least edit the page. However when I do ctrl-x-c, and try to save it says its write protected, type yes to confirm, then it says it's chmod'ing the file but seems to not do anything and I can't quit even if i don't save.

I tried to do a chmod on the info.plist file but it responds with 'read-only file system'. (i'm not sure i was using chmod correctly).

I did however look through the files mentioned in the method and my ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin does not have the correct ID string for my card.

I'm by no means experienced with darwin and only know a few basics so maybe I'm just missing soemthing. Sorry if this has been covered before but I've looked through the forum quite a bit. Thanks in advance!

system:

core 2 duo, x1300xt 256mb (almost same as x1600 pro), 2gb ram, MBR triple boot off 1 disk.

The snapshot is of it while frozen.

post-93303-1198878780_thumb.jpg

Ok, well I finally managed to edit the files by disabling journaling and using ubuntu. So now my cards ID is in the correct files... at least I think so.

It still does the exact same thing. Are there any other files/things I need to do? and do they differ from 10.4? Natit seems to get my card right while booting, and I am using the VGA output. Maybe there is something I'm missing? Please could someone give me some pointers?

Many thanks...

A couple of things I've just noticed:

My cards ID string is: 0x71CE, but while booting before when that picture was taken it first says the correct string, then a bit further down says: 0x71EE.

Now, when booting, it says 0x71EE both times, even though I changed the string in the files mentioned in boris' method.

It also says ATY,Alopias. In the method it says it should be ATY,Wormy in one of the files. Though, as I said before, thats for 10.4 - it may have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got it working... no thanks to anyone here. From what I can see, its pretty obvious what I should have done which makes me wonder why no-one pointed it out. But I'm not here to moan, I'll just tell you how I did it.

All I did wrong was install with the natit package during install when really I should have installed no graphics drivers at all. When I did that, I finally got into the system, then it was a simple case of putting my cards ID string in the appropriate files and installing the natit x1600 drivers. So now I have a nice leopard install.

Thanks for all the help!! :D

Since you've already figured out, good for you but no use to be bitter about it. The way to use this site is not to post excessive amount of new posts whenever you have a problem. You need to search for threads (posts) on similar issues and learn from other people's experience explained in those posts before you start a new post. Had you looked hard enough, you would have found that piece of info. I myself had personally responded numerous posts regard boot up issues as result of installing improper graphic drivers. In my guide I have specifically spelled out "NOT TO INSTALL ANY GRAPHIC DRIVERS THAT CAME WITH THE DISK". But since you are too lazy to look, like many other new comers in this forum. People got tired of responding the same old question.

Mod, we got take a stand and put down some hard rules about posting new threads. As far as I can see, this forum is buried by mountainous of repetitive and excessive whining from those who are too lazy to search for an answer.

Put me in my place. Ha. My apologies. I dont think I was using the right keywords as I seemed to be wading through pages of irrelevant search results. I think I was searching on osx86 scene when I read a post that you will have more success not installing video drivers. Anyway thanks for the input.