Lost hard drive space

kp1erce

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I am new to Mac. I recently purchased the 24" IMAC 2.4 dual core and installed Vista Ultimate on a 120GB partition. The problem I am hiving is every couple of weeks the hard drive space disappears and I am unable to locate the files or cause for this. I have chaecked the Microsoft site and come up with no solution, any suggestions?

Hi, I am new to Mac. I recently purchased the 24" IMAC 2.4 dual core and installed Vista Ultimate on a 120GB partition. The problem I am hiving is every couple of weeks the hard drive space disappears and I am unable to locate the files or cause for this. I have chaecked the Microsoft site and come up with no solution, any suggestions?

When you say 'lost' do you mean that the 120GB partition shrinks or that gigs are being taken up?

If it's the second one, that's just Vista's insane cache.

kp1erce, Vista has a System Restore feature that keeps snapshots of your configuration everytime you install/uninstall an application.

It's a pretty cool features but it requires some administration since it can use quite a lot of disk space.

My suggestion is to clean up all the existing restore points every time to time, I do that right before doing a full computer backup and after that I re-enable the System Restore.

To cleanup all the restore points go to:

Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore Center

on the left pane under the Tasks list there is:

Create a restore point or change settings

a new dialog opens and in the Automatic restore point section you can deselect all your harddrives and apply the change in order to purge all the existing Restore points.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who replied. In answer to your questions about the partition space, it was the entire partition that was being used up. After doing some file investigation from the Mac side, I found that the Real Player DB was eating up the drive space. I have since removed it and problem solved. Again, thanks for the responses.