Dual iATKOS partitions on a laptop, one for performance, the other for battery life.

Detosx

4 posts in this topic

I don't think this can physically work, that I would instead need two hard drives, which isn't practical with a laptop. I would love to use the vanilla kernel on GUID (though iATKOS doesn't directly support that option) - with Speedstep! That way I would have peak performance and tweak-able battery life. In that I can't have that, I wondered if there was some way to have an EFI+MBR partition with vanilla kernel working alongside a partition with a modified kernel with Speedstep. That way I can save battery on the road and boot into the performance partition when I'm on the mains at home.

I don't think this can physically work, that I would instead need two hard drives, which isn't practical with a laptop. I would love to use the vanilla kernel on GUID (though iATKOS doesn't directly support that option) - with Speedstep! That way I would have peak performance and tweak-able battery life. In that I can't have that, I wondered if there was some way to have an EFI+MBR partition with vanilla kernel working alongside a partition with a modified kernel with Speedstep. That way I can save battery on the road and boot into the performance partition when I'm on the mains at home.

Same here, but i wish EFI+vanilla+poweroptions (battery)+speedstep (if possible) all togather :D

Empra

I originally had three partitions - Vista, Tiger and Leopard. I replaced the third with iATKOS using the Darwin X86 bootloader and Speedstep. Everything went fine. I then formatted the Tiger partition and installed iATKOS using the Darwin EFI. No surprise, it didn't work - I was left with just a blinking cursor at boot. In gparted I could see the partition was set to boot. I then tried making the x86 partition active but still was left with the blinking cursor and no F8 option.

I am now installing X86 option to the former Tiger partition, which should give me the ability to boot into both partitions.

Edit - it didn't work, I am left with a blinking cursor! Clearly I borked the partition table in some way, though the partitions are in tact. I might have to install to a USB drive, rescue my data and do a clean install. No harm in that!

Does anyone know if dual-core chips (as opposed to Core 2 Duo) play nice with GUID and EFI?

Fun and games.

Re two partitions, one for battery and one for performance - if anyone has managed an artful compromise, I would be glad to read! :D