How to install iAtkos without a dvd drive?

szemettelep

11 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have a couple of Amd systems but my only Intel sse3 pc is an optiplex 745 ultra small form factor with no dvd room.

Is there any way to transfer the iAtkos iso to an external hard drive and install from there or just install somehow without the dvd room.

I have tried this from my Tiger Amd install but i always get a read error.

http://gwhiz.wordpress.com/2006/09/21/inst...opard-from-dmg/

Thank You!

My suggestion would be to burn the DVD onto an external HDD that you can connect to that Intel computer. I know that you can do that from OS X's Disk Utility, but I don't know how you'd go around doing the same thing on Windows XP or Vista. Anyway, once you get that done, you'd have to be able to boot from the external HDD, and if it has the DVD burned onto it, you'd be able to use it just as if it was a normal DVD.

In theory anyways. Good luck!

Yes you use disk utility to restore the image onto the USB HD, but you need an OSX install to work from or some OSX system.

Once you have restored the image onto the partition. Then you need to mark it active. Go to fdisk in terminal and type the following

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (where X in the USB drive you restored the image to, then from there hit enter)

update (enter again)

f X (where X is the partition you restored the DVD image to, most likely 1)

w (enter)

It will ask you to restart possibly. Hit Y then enter

q (enter)

Then reboot and boot from that USB HD and you should be able to install from there.

Thanks for the quick replies !

I have a working Tiger install, I was messing with disk utility all day yesterday, but each time I'm trying to restore the image I get a read error message a few minutes in.

Is there a windows application that would extract a bootable image to an external hard drive?

Thank You!

Thanks again!

I finally was able to restore the image to my external drive using disk utility then I set it active with acronis disk director, and i was able to boot from it.

Before i was getting read errors when I tried to restore the image. I decided to move the image from my desktop to an other internal drive

and restore from there and it worked.

I'm installing iATKOS from my external drive right now.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

anyone do this successfully with iATKOS 2.0i?

I partitioned my external USB HDD with disk utility with GUID format. RESTORED the iATKOS 2.0i.iso to the ext. hdd. BUT, it doesn't boot.

any ideas?

• 2 years later...
anyone do this successfully with iATKOS 2.0i?

I partitioned my external USB HDD with disk utility with GUID format. RESTORED the iATKOS 2.0i.iso to the ext. hdd. BUT, it doesn't boot.

any ideas?

I think you need to install a boot loader on the drive

use chameloen

no ideo how to do that using windows