MBR to GUID transfer

Absolut352

13 posts in this topic

I have had my hackintosh running vanilla kexts with pc_efi V8 and MBR for a couple of weeks and would like to format and reinstall Leo with guid. Then I want to transfer all my installed apps and files to the new guid install. I have a few external hard drives and stuff but im not sure if time machine can do this or not. What would be the best strategy for accomplishing this? Has anyone else tried? Thanks.

Can the same thing be done without time machine? MBR to GUID. Cant you use disk utilitys restore feature to do this?

restore 1 disk to another and then run the script to make it bootable.

Please let me know.. I am trying to get my Iatkos install to run from GUID and I think this would work.

THANKS

@Absolut352: I'm probably not understanding exactly what you're trying to do, but if you already have a setup on one MBR disk and are looking to just install the OS on another GUID disk, why not use the Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder? Just have both disks installed and boot to the GUID disk. That's what MA was meant to do, pull over all your software from on install to another. I've done it several times and it works for me. Sorry if this isn't what you're trying to do.

I have tried this both with time machine and restore in disk utility and I cant get the new GUID partiton to boot from USB HD. Is there something special to get GUID to boot from a USB drive?

Here is what I did:

Restored using disk utility/Time machine the partition I wanted on GUID.

Then I took I_am me EFI script from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

and I ran it with the USB drive disk number changed. It gives me NO errors in the script However when I did this before it did auto remount the drives after it was complete. However I don't see that as an issue. I reboot the drive and try to boot from that disk and all I get is the blinking cursor.

So what am I MISSING? Ive tried this like 50 times already.

@Absolut352: I'm probably not understanding exactly what you're trying to do, but if you already have a setup on one MBR disk and are looking to just install the OS on another GUID disk, why not use the Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder? Just have both disks installed and boot to the GUID disk. That's what MA was meant to do, pull over all your software from on install to another. I've done it several times and it works for me. Sorry if this isn't what you're trying to do.

I have a 500gb sata disk with Leo installed on MBR partition and working fine. Then i have a 500gb external drive i want to backup all my files and programs to then format the original sata disk with GUID. I dont want to boot to the external just backup my stuff. My question was can i use time machine to do the backup portion. I didnt know if it MBR vs GUID would interfer with restoring my files and stuff from time machine after a fresh install with GUID. Hope that makes sense.

I could SCREAM right now. ALL I HAD TO DO was set the second partiton ACTIVE.. Errrr.

I need to write this into I_am me's script. NO Idea how to do that.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (X in my diskXsY disk ID was 0) [enter]

update [enter]

f 2 [enter]

w [enter]

(type 'Y' to reboot when queried) [enter]

q [enter]

reboot

Unfortunately disk utility restore does not work but time macine back up does work.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cant believe it was this simple.

So i guess it worked. All i did was use time machine and had it backup everything (about 150gigs). Installed the kalaway leo dvd with vanilla kernal GUID partition and when i rebooted i used the transfer information from time machine backup. Its restoring now. It was alot easier than i thought it would be. Thanks for the replies.

So i guess it worked. All i did was use time machine and had it backup everything (about 150gigs). Installed the kalaway leo dvd with vanilla kernal GUID partition and when i rebooted i used the transfer information from time machine backup. Its restoring now. It was alot easier than i thought it would be. Thanks for the replies.

I've not experimented too much yet with TimeMachine, other than to just see if it actually backed up. Can you let us know if partitions need to be of identical size, or if you only have 80gb of files on a 130gb system partition, can that be restored to a 100gb partition? Thanks.

I only have 1 partition. After time machine finished restoring everything i was greeted with the log in window which i have never used. My password seems to be no good and i cant log in. I tried booting back to the leo dvd and repair permissions but i still cant log in. Not sure what to do here.

Ok so i ran into this article http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...007110800450816 . Followed the commands and i was able to get into the first run setup. I created a new account and then i went into user setting and reset my password. Then i logged out and logged in as my original user name and i back in my desktop. Everything was there and fully functional so i went into users again and deleted the account i just created. Set my user name as the default and turned on automatic log in. When i reboot now im getting the message ive seen here before yada yada /com.apple.Boot.plist cannot be found. What to do next?

Edit: I reinstalled Leo and did everything over again except this time i kept the user. Changed my old user from the tm backup to the default user. All is well now thanks.