I'm new here and have questions

Justin D.

3 posts in this topic

Christmas is coming soon, so I plan on getting a better computer to replace my Pentium 2 at 450MHz, 192MB RAM.

I'm thinking Pentium 4 at 1.5GHz with 256MB RAM. (please don't laugh, I'm 14, money does not come easily)

Anyway, as far as I know, any Pentium 4 has the needed SSE2 for running OSX86. I've hardly used OSX at all, so I am quite inexperienced (which is exactly why I need to try this; I've tried various Windows, and Linux, and OS2, even though the OS2 didnt work out too well and I couldnt even install it ;)). Anyway, how will it run on those specs. I understand that's not much RAM, but I think it meets the requirement.

And, I read it requires FireWire. Is this somehow disabled in OSX86, as I dont know if the computer I want has firewire or not.

And, is there anything else I need to know?

Well, I have a P4 at 1.7gHZ with 512ram and a 25gb partition for OS X, and it runs fine, except the fact that my video card is having some problems.

You should be good with those specs, but they are not the greatest, and I understand. I'm 14 too. I have saved a lot up over a year and a half, so I will be getting the upgrades in my signature.

I would advise you get at least 512mb of Ram at the minimum.

No, you do not NEED firewire, but I believe it works if configured right.

And by the way, you WILL love OS X Tiger.

I think there's major issues over hardware compatibility, and something tells me I'm not going to have much luck with this. I ordered the computer and obtained a OSX86 ISO (I just really hope it's the right one). So now, I need to wait for the computer to come in and buy some DVD-R.

As for the hardware compatibility, the computer is as follows:

Compaq EVO 1.5GHz Pentium 4

256MB (unfortunately it's probably RDRAM which is expensive to upgrade AFAIK)

o

Pentium 4 - 1.5GHz Processor

o

256 RAM

o

4 - USB Slots (2 front, 2 rear)

o

Ethernet card installed

o

Serial A and B

o

Mic and Headphone plug on front panel