is there at least a hope left for AMD users !?

schnauzer

11 posts in this topic

I look at the stickied topics and all I see is Intel... but what about a wroking guide for AMD ? what about a working release for AMD ? .... sure there may be severall discs out there with a lot of issues that could be repaired with some work but the biggest issue that keeps me away from at least trying them out is the fact that downloads from the internet make the system freeze.... which is IMO a big {censored}in' part of using a computer. WHY isn't there anything out at least remotely functional for AMD ? :( makes me really really sad. is AMD dying or what ?... is there no suport out there from those crafty people that do programming and are able to crack open these OS's ?

anyway...this is my setup:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ SSE3

Mainboard: MSI MS-7260 nforce 550 chipset

Memory: 1 GB

HDD: Samsung 250 GB (4 partitions: first is C: for Windows.... D: empty - hope to use it for Leopard some time , and E: and F: for my personal files)

Video: Geforce 7300gt DDR3 128mb

Audio: Realtek HD integrated

yeah I heard... but when will he realease the second version ? ;)

I'm asking myself the same question. He's talking about a second release, but no one needs it imho.

It works amazingly nice, just that stupid Net Freeze Error remains.

I say: Release a fixed forcedeth kext and there we go.

Is this net freeze error only for nforce chipsets?

I'm having a similar problem with my RTL8139...at random times the network just dies and even iTunes for some reason will not work...everything else seems to be fine...the only way to get the network back is to restart...

Is it a similar problem you guys are facing?

Whenever using high bandwidth with the internet connection, no matter which Program you use, or even when you load heavy pages with Safari, Leopard will freeze and you have to force a reboot.

Yes, I think this is mostly a problem with nForce 4 chipsets.

The only way to solve it, is booting with one CPU only (cpus=1).

This temporary fix worked for me, but I really want to use both of my cpus.

- Puttabong

In my opinion, AMD is the best CPU there is (okay they scrwed up with the phenom). But I only prefer it under windows. Because AMD is way to buggy with OSX, AMD users are always the last ones to get treated with the latest versions of Mac OSX. Plus AMD users cant use Software auto update patches(at least not the ones that update the mac). That's why I just bought myself a new system, one with intel. This system will only be used for mac osx, because face it, intel just is a better solution for hacintosh and thats a fact! We can only hope that in the near future mac will consider AMD cpus instead of intel. but that pretty farfetched i reckn