Where's the beef

Geeze

8 posts in this topic

Ok, I have iAtkos 1.0i installed on my laptop with GUID/EFIv8. Runs great. This is one of Uphucks trimmed down installes that is to say it is intel only (as in intel vs PPC not AMD). I have a retail Leopard DVD. I want to add stuff back, and get it back to a "universal" (rosetta?) level. Any ideas?

Ok, maybe my terminology is wrong. It funny that you mention office 2004, because I am installing that now. So what does it mean that all of the PPC code was cut out? I am assuming that universal bin programs will work, they are univeresal...(I think MS 2004 fall under that category) But I thought rosetta ran the old PPC stuff. Hell, I don't even know how Rosetta works or where it is on the disk. This is probally no big deal, I just wanted to replace some things that were trimmed out. Just not sure what was trimmed out beside PPC code, probally some printer and language

PS, I just finished installing Office 2004, and it works.

Thanks,

Geeze

I heard that you can install the things that had been cut out directly from apple if you wanted.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you can. It seems like it would be fairly easy to add was taken out. I do have a retail Leopard 10.5.1 disk. Just not sure how the whole rosetta/ppc thing works.

Geeze, if you really want everything you can get out of Leopard, have you tried installing the full retail disk to another drive? Now that you have this version up and running, it wouldn't hurt anything and you'll have everything as vanilla as you want it. That is what I've done for my main system. It beats having to know what someone took out of their installer. Gives you complete control over your system. I see you're already running the vanilla kernel on your systems, so you can probably do this too.

The stuff cut out is literally the PPC version of the OS, for people on older pre-Intel Macs, so that guy with a G4 from 2000 can install it. It's not something that is relevant to Intel Mac users or Intel non-Mac users. We'd NEVER see that stuff anyway. Whatever capabilities the original install disc provides to an Intel Mac user, is the capabilities this disc provides, minus I believe the language stuff. I would like clarification on that aspect as I may want to tinker with some asian character input.

Geeze, if you really want everything you can get out of Leopard, have you tried installing the full retail disk to another drive? Now that you have this version up and running, it wouldn't hurt anything and you'll have everything as vanilla as you want it. That is what I've done for my main system. It beats having to know what someone took out of their installer. Gives you complete control over your system. I see you're already running the vanilla kernel on your systems, so you can probably do this too.

Actually that was my plan from get go. I was gonna try this method:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Using a two partion GUID drive with Tiger and install from there. Well Tiger won't let you use the command : open OSInstall.mpkg (at least not for the file on the retail leopard disk), and using Pacifist just takes too long. (anyone know how to stop Pacifist from doing a file verify after it unpacks the files?) Now I can try it with a Leopard partition. For some reason my Laptop won't let me boot from a USB hard drive, and I am not sure why. It has that option in the BIOS, but it never accesses the drive. Long story short it is likely a hardware issue. But I read ls8 did it with a dual partion set up.