External Hard Drive Hang

2 posts in this topic

I just received my new intel Mac (20" imac with 1gig of ram and 256meg vid card). woot!!! Anyway, i got almost all my "windows" things working on it. My camera, my video camera, etc. The last thing I haven't been able to get working is my pine usb 2.0 external hard drive. There is very little information on this product on the net so obviously I didn't do my research prior to buying it but I haven't had any problems with it in the Windows world.

When I plug my hard drive into my new mac, it mounts the hard drive, and I can browse all my files. It is mostly some .jpg and .mp3 on the hard drive. When I try to do any file operation on the hard drive (copy, paste, move) the operation starts but then immediately freezes. I brought the hard drive into work to try it on a non-intel mac and it seems to do the same thing. I can't even cut/copy/paste to different parts of the hard drive, any operation with the hard drive involved hangs. I have to turn off the hard drive to get my computer to stop trying the operation.

Does anyone have any experience with external hard drives hanging?

Please help.

Thanks!