CloneTool on Leopard OSx86 workaround - Manual bootloader

Darkshear

5 posts in this topic

Did some research and even after surfing around on here, wasn't able to find a specific resolution to the incompatibility between Hatchery and Leopard when using pframes patch to automate bootloader building in an OSx86 environment.

This solution was derived from a thread on InsanelyMac.com; original thread is here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68453

I'll give a summary of what it was I was trying to accomplish, with the scenario I was trying to do it in.

Essentially I wanted to make a backup of my Leopard install, located on an internal IDE hard drive, to an external USB hard drive.

Hatchery obviously does a great job, however without the pframes patch for Leopard, the target drive is not bootable. And pframes hoses Leopard for the moment sad.gif

This worked for me, and may not work for you, but if you have a similar situation, hopefully you'll have a positive outcome as I did.

My source drive that I was booted in to is a MBR partition. The default checkboxes in Hatchery were used. The target drive was partitioned and formatted the same as the source drive. after the clone was complete, I followed these steps (you will need the startupfiletool, linked below, and the BrazilPatch, which can be Googled all over the place):

1. Boot in to source OS

Step two:

- Download "Startupfiletool" - it can be found in this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;&do=findComment&comment=166040

- Unstuff and place "Startupfiletool" in "usr/sbin"

the easiest way to do this is to press shift-cmd-g in Finder and enter "/usr/sbin" - then drag the "Startupfiletool" into the "sbin" folder

- Locate and open the folder "files" on your Desktop (it's one of the folders from BrazilMAC's patch folder) - inside "files" is a folder called "i386" - open it.

- press shift-cmd-g in Finder and enter "/usr/standalone/i386" then drag all files from the first opened "i386" folder (the one on desktop/files) into the "i386" folder

4. I'm not 100% certain of tis, but I believe you may also need to put

"bless" into "usr/bin" (it can be found in the patch files on "desktop/files/")

Step three:

1. Open Terminal

- Type: "diskutil list"

result will show all your partitions

- Write down volume name and disk identifier info!

Example:

name: Leopard

identifier: disk1s2 (1=disk number 2=partition number)

I will use "disk1s2" (or "rdisk1s2") and "Leopard " in this guide code! - exchange it to your correct numbers and name when you see type in the code!!!

Step four:

1. Mark the partition active

- Type: "sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1"

(exchange "rdisk1" to your correct disk number!)

- enter your password

- Type: "update"

- Type: "f 2"

(exchange "f 2" to your correct partition number)

- Type: "w"

answer the question with "y"

- Type "q"

Step five:

- Type: "diskutil unmount /Volumes/Leopard"

(exchange "Leopard" for the correct name of your Leopard partition!)

- Type: "sudo dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1"

(exchange "rdisk1s2" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "sudo startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 /usr/standalone/i386/boot"

(exchange "rdisk1s2" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "sudo bless -device /dev/disk1s2 -setBoot -verbose"

(exchange "disk1s2" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2"

(exchange "disk1s2" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "bless -mount /Volumes/Leopard -setBoot -verbose"

(exchange "Leopard" for the correct name of your Leopard partition!)

You may get an error "Could not find IODeviceTree:/options" but it works!

Step six:

Boot Leopard

Ill give this a shot. How bout just using carbon copy cloner? no pframe and nonsense. The only problem is that i havnt figued out how to get the cloned volume to boot. I have tried most of the methods listed around (format fat32 make active and primary) Trien Kalaways startup..tried Tohs script.. Carbon Copy cloner makes a perfect clone.. just cant boot it without the the install dvd

Well this method is not specific to CloneTool Hatchery, this method simply manually writes the bootloader to the disk, so I assume regardless of your actual clone method, this would work. Give it a shot and see what happens (backup critical data first lol) and let us know!

Ill give this a shot. How bout just using carbon copy cloner? no pframe and nonsense. The only problem is that i havnt figued out how to get the cloned volume to boot. I have tried most of the methods listed around (format fat32 make active and primary) Trien Kalaways startup..tried Tohs script.. Carbon Copy cloner makes a perfect clone.. just cant boot it without the the install dvd

I have restored ok, if I remember correctly I just marked it back as active and re-installed pc_efi and it booted fine then.

I have restored ok, if I remember correctly I just marked it back as active and re-installed pc_efi and it booted fine then.

Yeah, that will basically accomplish the same thing, but these steps are specific to MBR partitions it seems, nothing else.