pc efi with guid partition and ata/ide

sg

3 posts in this topic

is it possible to boot a 10.5 pc efi v7+ using a guid partition map on a ata/ide drive? using mbr i can boot the same drive fully, however on a ide drive thats formated as guid, it boots and freezes to the point where it says 'found boot/root device' after loading the kexts and then all my drives spin down instantly.

the reason i'm trying to boot on a guid ata/ide drive is to test out to see if it will work on my rig before i commit to formating and creating a new guid partition on my main SATA drive.

is it possible to boot a 10.5 pc efi v7+ using a guid partition map on a ata/ide drive? using mbr i can boot the same drive fully, however on a ide drive thats formated as guid, it boots and freezes to the point where it says 'found boot/root device' after loading the kexts and then all my drives spin down instantly.

the reason i'm trying to boot on a guid ata/ide drive is to test out to see if it will work on my rig before i commit to formating and creating a new guid partition on my main SATA drive.

here's my set up and the exact steps i followed:AMD Athlon64 3400+ on Biostar NF3 mobo

1GB DDR400

16x NEC DVD-RW

GeForce 7600GS 512 Mb

250 GB internal IDE hard drive (windows drive)

250 GB IDEtoUSB2.0 external hard drive (the that i GUID partitioned and installed leopard on)

500 GB SATAtoUSB2.0 external hard drive

1. i unplugged my internal drive to prevent it from getting screwed while playing with installation on the other drives.

2. I installed the Zephyroth AMD patched Leopard disk and used the disk utility during installation to create 2 guid partitions and installed to the first one.

3. when installation was done, my computer would not boot the guid partition (this is normal). I then booted back into the install disk and used terminal and netkas instructions to set the guid partition as bootable.

4. i then installed tiger on a partition on my 500GB drive and set up a user to import into leopard.

5. i then used a combination of the guide included in the PC EFI v8 download and this guide to install PC EFI v8 to the partition of my GUID drive that i wanted to boot from. the only thing that i change was in Macgirl's instructions it says:

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s1 ./boot_v5

and i changed it to:

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s1 ./boot_v8

6. i did get some errors with some of the other steps in her instructions, but i just kept going, rebooted when i was done, and it worked.

good luck...you'll need it (it wouldn't be fun if it weren't a challenge)

like i said, i can boot from the guid partition using a standard restored 10.5 dvd but with a replaced applesmbios and appleefiruntime and appleintelcpumanager removed, but it dies aftering finding my root/boot device when loading the kexts and then all my drives spin down.