Can't log in after restoring from backup

takeawaydave

7 posts in this topic

My OS X 10.4.10 install :hysterical: got messed up and I restored from a superduper backup as follows:

formated system disk. Installed Jas 10.4.8 OS X then restored my super duper backup to System HD.

I rebooted but I can't logging in now.

I have done this before but this didn't happen seems like my restore might be broken.

When I boot in to single user mode and then run:

sh /etc/rc

I get a message saying

Can't find user root

When I try to reset pasword using this utility on the startup disk no user is found.

Please help me I am miserable if I can't restore this back to its former glory :(

Please someone.....

Could it be that you have selected the option of not saving some data when making your backup (like system files)?

An alternative would be to reinstall OSX and then import (using the migration assistant) your old user files over to the new installation.

I hope you can fix the problem!

hecker

No I dont think I left anything out - built the back up the same as ever. Maybe a corrupt file.

If I start in single user then run 'sh /etc/rc' the final message which repeats is:

computername memberd[83]: Couldn't find root user. Sleeping and trying again.

No google hits for this one though.

hecker - do you know which files are required for the os to find users other than /etc/passwd and shadow password file?

The users database is managed by a component named Netinfo in OSX so just finding the actual user files in the system may not really help you out. You could try enabling the "root" user to see if it helps. Find out how, here: http://www.spy-hill.com/~myers/help/apple/EnableRoot.html

In cases like these I usually just re-install from scratch since there is no sure way of knowing if the files from your image are OK.

What about your Users directory? Is that still in there?

hecker

YESSSSHHH! I am as proud as a Dutchman!Did the following:

III. Restoring from defaultsIf you do not have a good backup or just want to start over, you can restore from defaults. Follow these steps:1. Start up the computer in single-user mode, as described above.2. This command renames the current NetInfo database, so that it may subsequently be automatically replaced:# mv /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.bad3. Optional - if you have a network domain:# mv /var/db/netinfo/network.nidb /var/db/netinfo/network.nidb.badNote: You may also want to move any other nibd folders in /var/db/netinfo that are not being restored.4. Remove the AppleSetupDone file:# rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone5. Restart the computer:# reboot
:unsure:;) ;)