What ARE the advantages of the Vanilla kernel?

the poi

3 posts in this topic

My system specs are in the sig. I got this working a couple days ago, and my mind is blown by how well everything is working. Video, sound (2ch), ethernet, etc etc all work right. I used the rad post-patch from sortadan, installing EFIv8 on my Mac drive with MBR. The system gets stuck in infinite reboot with the vanilla kernel, but just switching to ToH's mach_sleep fixes that, and the system runs perfectly (even, as you can imagine, sleeps properly). In fact, installing 10.5.1 broke it as it should, but again, just restoring the ToH kernel fixes it, and everything gets properly reported as "OS X 10.5.1".

Especially awesome: I installed Parallels, it automatically detected my other drive (the XP drive) and offered to configure it for me as "My Boot Camp". That, too, works perfectly. I can boot my other drive into Parallels and use it just dandy, and for anythign requiring graphics acceleration (namely, gaming) I just reboot and boot off that partition itself.

So other than just thanks all around for the info I've found here, my question: are there really any advantages to the vanilla kernel that I'm not aware of? I come from a little Linux background, so swapping kernels is hardly inconvenient.

Oh side question: one thing that doesn't work. Dock magnification. It just doesn't magnify. The rest of QE works perfectly fine (using latest NVInject). The option toggle just doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

original.jpg

I don't know about Dock Magnification (you have to set it in System Preferences, but I think you already know that :() but the main advantages of the vanilla kernel is to do seemless updates without any modification, just install updates directly from Apple Software Update, which is a huge convenience and that your computer gets recognized as a Mac Pro instead of the OSx86 Development Platform.

And also it makes your hackintosh VERY equal to a Mac in terms of software.

Other than that, I can't think of any more reasons

• 4 months later...