Very irritating problem, please help me

mbussi

3 posts in this topic

Hi everybody

I managed to install XxX 10.4.10 on an external USB hard disk. Everything works fine, network, audio, video, etc, except for the fact that I *apparently* can only boot from the external hard disk if the install dvd is present.

Ideas, anyone?

TIA

Max

check your BIOS settings and see if there's an option to boot from a USB drive. sometimes it's referred to as "removable storage". also get a good luck at the bios POST screen and see if you have a Boot Menu. on my board, i can hit esc at the post screen to get a menu and choose what to boot from, regardless of the setting in the bios.

check your BIOS settings and see if there's an option to boot from a USB drive. sometimes it's referred to as "removable storage". also get a good luck at the bios POST screen and see if you have a Boot Menu. on my board, i can hit esc at the post screen to get a menu and choose what to boot from, regardless of the setting in the bios.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself. My machine boots perfectly from the usb drive. It simply hangs if there's no disk in the dvd drive...

Max