JaS 10.4.8 - VMWare - runs then hangs

db9r

4 posts in this topic

I seem to have been sucessful in installing JaS on my PC under VMWare 6

using the pcwiz tutorial (system is P5B, Core Duo 2 E6400 with 2G, XP Sp2,) boots but NIC is there but no internet conection (but I haven't done the patch work yet)

However I find that if it runs for a bit and then hangs and I can't get out of VMWare using ctrl/alt and XP is also hung - I have to reset the PC

Is this because of no VMware tools or possibly the NIC issue - or is there a power shutdown setting in Mac OSX like hibernate in XP - but the gui is still in the VMWare window

For the NIC problem, try my networking tutorial:

http://######.com/software/vmwareosx86network.htm

But I don't think your hanging issue is related to VMware Tools (I don't have it) or NIC stuff. Try going into the VM Settings and deleting all the virtual devices that aren't necessary (USB controller, sound adapter, ethernet, floppy) and then try it. If the issue still persists, check if your computer is overheating while VMware is running (that is a very possible cause).

If that isn't the case, then try and note if the hang happens after you doing something in OS X.

Thanks, By removing the virtual devices - you mean in the VM bios settings? I had removed floppy in bith BIOS and in VM - bios remove NIC as well?

I'll check overheating but this system is used fairly hard (CAD system) - but I will check