kernel_task spikes my cpu

steve buchemi

4 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have had leo running on my PC for about a month now however up until yesterday I could only boot leo with the install disk. I hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to fix the boot issue. So yesterday I used the startupfiletool and that fixed my booting problem. However now when i'm running leo every second or so Activity Monitory shows kernel_task spikes my CPU usage about every second causing my system to hang for a second then it goes back down to .6 or so.

PID=0

Process = kernel_task

User=root

Threads=~55

Rsize=~123MB

Vsize=1.13GB

This is the second leo install that has started to do this after I made it bootable. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. And please be specific so I don't screw up your instructions. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

• 3 months later...

Heya, did you find a solution to this? I have identical prob.

Hello all,

I have had leo running on my PC for about a month now however up until yesterday I could only boot leo with the install disk. I hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to fix the boot issue. So yesterday I used the startupfiletool and that fixed my booting problem. However now when i'm running leo every second or so Activity Monitory shows kernel_task spikes my CPU usage about every second causing my system to hang for a second then it goes back down to .6 or so.

PID=0

Process = kernel_task

User=root

Threads=~55

Rsize=~123MB

Vsize=1.13GB

This is the second leo install that has started to do this after I made it bootable. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. And please be specific so I don't screw up your instructions. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

me 3. i have notice if i use osx86 tools to force restart or force shut down then when osx loads back up my cpu cores are back to normal. but if i use the shutdown menu from the toolbar one of my cores are at 100 percent the whole time, which kernel_task is the culprit. same stats as the thread starter, 55 threads and pushing the cpu beyond 100 percent to 100.9 or 100.8. i think it has to do with being killed correctly when shutdown or restarted.

:wacko: i don't know any other solution to this. this started happing on 10.5.5 i was on 10.5.3 with no problems. stupid upgrades lol.