AppleAC97Audio.kext install Question

Skeeter007

12 posts in this topic

Ok I installed Toh RC2.

Dual boot Xp/Leopard TOH RC2 With Xp's boot loader. (Tboot work around, Not Chain0)

Here are my specs and stats.

Stuff thats working:

p4vm800 Asrock board. working (out of box)

P4 3.4 Presscot Working (out of box)

Ati 1650 Pro Working (out of box)(though can't change res)

8139 based generic ethernet card Working (out of box)(after Xp work around See below)

Keyboard 1 - IBM working (out of box)

Mic working (out of box)

Onboard audio was working (see below)

Logitec g5 mouse working (out of box)

usb ports working (out of box)

Fire wire port working (out of box)

Drives Dvd/Rom - Dvd/Rw working (out of box)

Plug and play hard drive/usb pens working (out of box)

Apple update working (although I only downloaded Itunes/Quick time)

Stuff thats not working:

on board audio No Go

on board ethernet No Go

Zboard No Go (but thats ok what am I going to use it with)

Zboard works after the os-x load up but not before. It's useless anyway.

Now My audio is broke and I did that to myself, I had one speaker working out of the box.

Yes the Left one. So I went to the wiki and grabbed the kext (AppleAC97Audio.kext)

and erased the old one and dragged and dropped in the new Kext into extensions Library.

Guess what, didn't work.I get the error messages on start up:

System Extension cannot be used, The system extension "/System/library/Extensions/

Appleac97audio.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling

it, or contact the vendor for an update.

Message 2: "Sytem extension cannot be used" , The system extension "systen/extensions/

Appleac97audio.kext/contents/plugins/appleac97audiovia.kext" was installed improperly and

cannot be used. please try reinstalling it, or conntact the product's vendor for an update.

Need a lamemans install guied right down to the period. Maybe a cut and paste version LOL

Any help would be great.

thanks

you have to fix permissions after dragging and dropping the kext.. here is how you do it..

open terminal

type each command then press enter

sudo -s

then type your password

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

reboot

that should fix the permission. after reboot and you get the same thing, erase the kext and try transferring it again and then run the commands again

Ok here's what I did with no results.

Also the Kext I'm using is from the wiki.

Last login: Sat Dec 15 01:20:24 on ttys000

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$ sudo -s

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:------------------

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$ chmod -R 755/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

usage: chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a [# [ n]]] mode|entry file ...

chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-E | -C | -i | -I] file ...

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$ chown -R 0:0/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

usage: chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ...

chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ...

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$

When I paste it into the extension folder it tell's me write off the bat that it's install wrong.

So I deleted from the folder. Redownloaded to be safe.

Draged and dropped into the folder. The pop up comes up with the error message.

I then open up Terminal and typed above with same results.

Am i missing a step?

1:drag drop.

2:open up Term.

3: enter commands

4: close term reboot.

5:restart

6: Error message appers at logon

7: Pull hair LOL

8: Repeat

I will get this sooner or later.

Am I using the right kext for TOH RC2

Thanks

Skeete

there as to be a _space_ after 775 and 0:0 in each command

you wrote

... 755/System ...

... 0:0/System ...

shoud be

remember these commands will affect the system folder youre booted from

hth

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$ chmod -R 755/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

usage: chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a [# [ n]]] mode|entry file ...

chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-E | -C | -i | -I] file ...

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$ chown -R 0:0/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

usage: chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ...

chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ...

You've missed the space that should be after "755" in the chmod command, and after "0:0" in the chown command. The commands should be:

Ok did it and this came up. Now remember my OS is Toh Rc2. I deleted the AppleAC97Audio.kext beacuse I was getting sound from one speaker. I then Downloaded

The file from the Wiki. As soon as i drag and drop the new file to the Extensions folder I

get the errors.

I then open terminal

and typed the following with the following results:

Last login: Sat Dec 15 02:33:50 on ttys000

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$ sudo -s

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password: ------------------------

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$ chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$ chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97Audio: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/pbdevelopment.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioAMD.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioAMD.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioAMD: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioAMD.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioAMD.kext/Contents/pbdevelopment.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioAMD.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioAMD.kext: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents/pbdevelopment.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/pbdevelopment.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97CodecAD198x: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents/pbdevelopment.plist: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Resources: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext: Operation not permitted

skeeter0-0a00e2:~ skeeter007$

Wow this is getting fun and never boring.

thanks for looking

Skeete

try this....

Open terminal and do the following

sudo -s

find /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;

then

find /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext -type f -exec /bin/chmod 0644 {} \;

Then wait...I usually have a Finder window opened to the /System/Library/

to see when the Extensions.mkext gets updated, once it has

Delete the Extensions.mkext file and wait for it to regenerated just to make sure

Reboot

The problem usually comes up with the permissions 755 which is rw-rw--r when it's suppose to be

rw-r-r on the Info.plist (and othe internal files inside the kext)

Another way is to just do a repair disk permissions, since the Recipts folder I believe have the correct permissions recorded

Hope this helps

PS...I've just create a shell script to take care of it, since I've been doing it so much...

ex: Copy and paste into TextEdit and save it as 'ANYNAME.sh' into a folder that holds the kext

#!/bin/sh

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/$1

find $1 -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;

find $1 -type f -exec /bin/chmod 0644 {} \;

chown -R root:wheel $1

cp -Rp $1 /System/Library/Extensions/$1

echo "All Done!"

Hello and thanks for your time geshadow.

I tried the commands, they seem to have taken. But I did not see the outcome

you talk of in the kext file. I didn't erase and regenerate as you said.

So I did a reboot and the error messages came up again. I will try again tonight

and copy and post the Terminal window text here later.

Very weird stuff. Again I find it weird that a drag and drop into that folder of

the AppleAc97Audio.kext generates an error write away before I can even open up

a terminal window to apply the fix's that have been given to me.

Anyway check back later, maybe we can get this done.

Thanks

Skeeter

skeeter you have to do all the modifications as ROOT

youre working on files that only an advanced user should work on normally

so either boot to single user mode

or enable root user by giving it a password

sudo passwd root

(when asked put in your password then 2x the desired root password)

then type

su

(root password will be required)

and then chmod mv cp etc to your hearts content

btw rather than deleting any original or vanilla files (eg kexts) merely rename them to something_vanilla

Yes I'm pretty new to this, but looking to learn and the best way is trial and error and learning from the pro's.Thats what brings me here. Now how do you boot into single user mode?

Also how do you enable root user.

Thansk for your time jzaw.

Skeete's

Ok sound is back Thanks all. Jzaw shout out to you, thanks for the root admin info. This helped was great.Now I have audio back and it's with the left speaker only. Square one.Anyway to get this going with at least 2 speakers? 4 would be nice but, baby steps.The AppleAC97Audio.kext was from the wiki. So maybe it's some code that needs to be inputed.Any how.......... guy thanks, This has been a great learning experience.Any help with the 1 channel output would be nice. oh the mic is working too.Skeete'sOn board Audio= C-Media AC97 Audio Device. <As per Xp's Device manager>ThanksSkeete'sOnboard Audio = C-Media AC97 Audio Device.As per Xp's device manager list.ThanksSkeete's

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I did the same thing and I get the same message on boot up....

Now My audio is broke and I did that to myself, I had one speaker working out of the box.

Yes the Left one. So I went to the wiki and grabbed the kext (AppleAC97Audio.kext)

and erased the old one and dragged and dropped in the new Kext into extensions Library.

Guess what, didn't work.I get the error messages on start up:

System Extension cannot be used, The system extension "/System/library/Extensions/

Appleac97audio.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling

it, or contact the vendor for an update.

Message 2: "Sytem extension cannot be used" , The system extension "systen/extensions/

Appleac97audio.kext/contents/plugins/appleac97audiovia.kext" was installed improperly and

cannot be used. please try reinstalling it, or conntact the product's vendor for an update.

Anyone have the original one so I can get a least sound out of one speaker?

I was stupid and did not make a backup. :wub:

I'm using an msi pm8m-v motherboard with the vt8237R chipset.

It has realtek alc655 audio chipset.

Thanks!