Ordering Tomorrow

yanketh

6 posts in this topic

Here's my final list, I would appreciate any criticism/reassurance on this if you have a minute to waste

Q6600 ($279 at Clubit)

ABIT IP35 (150 after rebate, newegg)

Antec 900 case (80 after rebate, newegg)

Tuniq Tower sink (50 newegg)

Powercolor x1950PRO 512 MB (147 after rebate, newegg)

Corsair 520w modular (100 after rebate, newegg)

Samsung 20xDVD SATA (34 newegg)

4 GB (4x1GB) 800 DDR2 probably Patriot (80 newegg)

500 GB SATA HDD (around 100 on newegg)

Total is $1020 with mostly free shipping or shipping reflected in the prices.

Compatibility issues with OSX86 anyone? Incompatibility issues, I guess I should ask?

I could get the Q6600 cheaper if I got OEM but I'd rather have retail to ensure a full warranty, smart move or needless? I'm getting it from ClubIT to ensure G0 stepping.

Will I ever need a 3.5 floppy ever again?

Do you think there will be a problem fitting the Tuniq Tower or the GECUBE card in my case? Both are supposedly overly large and I'm not familiar with the case other than a recommendation or two I've read on it.

I was originally intentending to get the ASUS p5k Deluxe wifi as well as an x1900xtx 512 but decided that these were probably unnecessary overkill and I couldn't justify the expense (especially for the card)...am I stupid to change?

I appreciate any input whatsoever, relevant or irrelevant. Many thanks in advance!

Instead of 4x1Gb of ram, take 2x2Gb.

I won't go detail not to distract you, just remember, that when using ordinary ram, it is always better to have a as low even module count as possible.

Then, why x1950pro, when you can get the 2600pro or even better any good nVidia card?

Next, again why -> Abit?

Have you read through the tutorials in the genius bas section of the forum? From what i can say, gigabyte boards are better choice.

get the x1950GT, it's cheaper than pro and OCs higher than pro

DO NOT buy HD2600(not fully supported), x1950pro/GT are fully supported (ie QE/CI/Rotation/Dual Screen/TV-out) and more powerful than HD2600

ohhh and go w/a gigabyte board

i could see myself getting the 2x2GB as you recommended, not too much of a price difference there

i was under the impression that the x1950pro was better than the gt, but if it overclocks to be better then i guess that decision is easy on me (get back some of that money from the ram)

as far as the motherboard, i wanted either an abit or asus because they have eSATA ports available and i didn't see any gigabyte boards with this option (i do video editing with an hdd connected through eSATA) is this possibly a case of two people that are either pro-gigabyte or anti-abit? or is abit {censored} and if I want eSATA i should go with the ASUS p5k-Deluxe wifi (abit boards seem to get great reviews on newegg)?

i appreciate the input and would love to learn more about things that i dont' know about! thank you

It's not about the review on newegg.

Abit are good boards indeed, but not for the Hackintosh. I dont say it wont work - it certainly will. But giving the fact of success rate of Gigabyte and Asus boards and that Abit are seem to have some initial installation problems Abit is not the best choice - if you dont want to spend hours of digging and retrying ;-)

About gigabyte not having e-sata - not true. Most of gigabyte boards use their internal two sata ports as either normal sata or e-sata (switch in bios) - they do not have esata ports on the back panel.

Just refer to the tech specs.

Powercolor x1950PRO 512 MB (147 after rebate, newegg)
I would not get this card. I had a Sapphire X1950 Pro 256MB and could not for the life of me get it working without issues such as QE/CI not working or major mouse tearing. I tried a number of methods and installers, nothing helped... I'm just warning you, compatibility not guaranteed.
Will I ever need a 3.5 floppy ever again?
Not for OSX you won't. OSX doesn't even support floppy drives as far as i'm aware. I needed a floppy drive to install AHCI drivers for WinXP on my new system. If you have a pc with a floppy drive @ home, you can always switch it over for a bit...