So let me get this straight...

Ushir

8 posts in this topic

Okay, so Ive been reading through the posts on this forum for the last couple days in preparation to installing Leopard on my laptop. I just wanted to confirm a few things - theres so much info on here thats it hard to filter out what is relevant and whats not.

So first off, here are my notebook specs:

Acer Travelmate 8003LMi

Pentium M 1.6 Ghz

2 GB Ram (333Mhz)

120 Gb Drive

Ati Mobility Radeon 9700

So from the specs I know I can only support SSE2.

Next - I want to installed Leopard 10.5.1 - so this would involve a Brazilmac installation. Now, from the thread that Brazilmac posted on another forum, the 9a581 patch is for SSE3 correct? Which build or patch should I then use for SSE2? He mentioned in his post to look around for a Kernel that supports SSE2, but I wasnt quite sure what to look for - Id appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Secondly - I want to be able to dual boot XP and Leopard - is this recommended for a first installation or should I experiment with the install on my spare hd? (Just want to know how difficult the installation is and if it is easy to fok it up?).

Ok thats all for now...

Great forum btw guys - mad impressed by the work u guys are doin!

I'm not sure what to do about the patches, as I've been out of these forums for a long time.

For a first install though, I would use an extra HD, instead of your primary one, if you have an extra drive lying around, in case you destroy the backup HD.

Agree, best thing to do is find a spare drive to try this out on, you may find that this OS although may indeed run on your laptop, wont be bug free enough or all the option you wish use will work to warrant keeping it on your drive. By installing this on spare drive you will have the time needed to find drivers, and play with kext files. I did just this and before I had a good running Leopard OS running I had installed it three times and after all that I still have only defualt resolution and unable to play DVD's. Fun to play with, Yes, an OS that I would keep as my main os for this laptop, NO.

I personally have not heard of any patches that work for SSE2, but if you run the patch from a working install of Tiger, I recommend uphuck v1.3 only because I used it and it worked like a charm, then you will be able to utilize the working kexts, and mach_kernel (which would be working with SSE2), I know this seems like alot of work, but from my understanding the patch must be run from a working OSX install. So start with that, I agree with an external drive, but it would be easier with two, one you can install Tiger on and then a second to install Leopard on because you will need to run the postpatch from either Tiger or USB Thumb drive from within the install dvd. And the postpatch for me was a total pain in the ass, i adjusted all of the required paths and it still would not work. So I ended up reading the postpatch and doing what it was supposed to do manually.

But I successfully have now installed Leopard for a second time, this time with EFI and running the vanilla kernel, and everything works. Keep in mind though it is a work in progress, and something that I perfected over many formats and reinstalls. I have been a member since the end of October and that is roughly when I started to learn all of this. So in conclusion, I recommend being patient and testing until you get everything working.

Hope that gave you some direction.

PS. None of my initial hardware was listed in the compatibility list so it was a risk to initially take, so I bought a 500gb drive so I wouldnt lose any data, and eventually bought two different video cards.

Hey qbattersby, thanks for the reply. Could you go into more detail about your installation? From what I understood in your post - you installed leopard through tiger is that correct? So my first step would be to get tiger installed correctly yes? Might I ask what releases of tiger and leopard you used??

Thanks again ~ Ushir

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, sorry for the delayed reply was away on vacation and visiting family.

As for information about my installation I used Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 (I have a Core2Duo so I used the SSE3 patch but for you the SSE2 patch would be what you need to install if I understand correctly), I installed it on a spare hard drive and boot to it from setting the boot device in the bios. At this point after Tiger was installed I got all of my components working, video, sound, etc. From there I burned the Leopard DVD using brazilmacs method. Then I installed Leopard on a separate hard drive, rather than on a partition, saves any booting hassles I suppose. Then before booting to that drive I booted back into Tiger, in there I ran brazilmacs post patch after edititing the paths in the .sh file. It didnt appear to be copying the specific kexts and mach_kernel therefore I did it manually, if you look in one of the folders supplied with Brazilmacs patch you will find the files it is supposed to be copying, I then searched through my Tiger install for the same files, and replaced them manually while repairing all of the permissions. Then I was able to reboot and select the Leopard drive and everything booted up fine.

After all of that I continued to install PC_EFI from a method found through googling, I can search for the exact link if you would like. Didnt bookmark it sorry, but it should be easy to find. I has links to all the required files.

I realize as you are using a Laptop it may be difficult to use so many drives, but I would suggest this>

Get an external drive, install Tiger on it, and then install Leopard on the internal drive, during the Leopard install you could likely partition the drive so you could install windows or whichever you like after all is said and done, the formalities about dual booting I am not acquainted with as I just used seperate drives rather than partitions. Once everything is working you likely could format the external drive to use as storage.

Anyways, hopefully that helps

Dude thank you so much for your reply man. Okay, so I installed Tiger on an external usb drive (10.4.11) and managed to boot up. Now im busy tryingo to get all the drivers working. So far I have gotten my wifi working like 70% (it hardly works. it works just enough for me to load google in 5 mins). I tried to get my graphics card (mobility raedeon 9700) to work, but somoehow failed - i get a black screen when I boot up. Any idea how to undo this?

Okay, so what is PCI_EFI? I havent been able to find an answer to this yet. From my guess, it seems like it is the Mac's version of a bios? And we are trying to emulate pci_efi? Is that correct?

Also, are there any reasons to use a different version of tiger for the install? (ie. 4.3 vs. 4.11?)

Thanks dude!

I appreciate your help.

Hey, its no problem,

As for wifi working that may be a struggle, your best bet may be to by a compatible usb wifi adapter, I have a Hawking Technologies one that I use with an older iBook that needed drivers for the dongle itself. For the mobility raedeon not sure about any development with this card, you should look in the wiki to see if anyone has got it working and it will likely say what the used, Natit or whatever. For the black screen the only way to get back to the previous state is if you backed up any kexts that were replaced, if you dont have them you can try booting in safemode, to do this you will need to put in the switch "-x" without the quotes in the darwin bootloader, just hit any key when it gets to the countdown and you put it in there and hit enter. If you can boot into the gui from there then you can play around with replacing the files to get the video to work. After quickly viewing the wiki it appears people have had no problems getting the 9700 to work, what install dvd did you use? I know uphuck's has drivers for ATi cards, and the mobility cards I believe.

PC_efi is basically emulating a Mac's bios if I am correct. This allows us to use the vanilla kernel (the same kernel Mac computers use, therefore hacks are closer to macs). The only thing with this is you need to have a newer CPU to do this, I believe on the Core2Duo chips work with the vanilla kernel. Some of the "Celeron" C2D chips work as well.

For using an older version of tiger to install, I believe there are some benefits in some cases. Such as some video cards will only work with an older version. Not sure exactly which ones. This information can be found on the wiki. I personally recommend a newer version such as 4.11 or at least 4.8 or 4.9 to install as there is more compatibility. The 10.4.9 uphuck dvd I used had all the drivers on it I needed to download after using an older 10.4.8 dvd.

Anyways I hope this information has been helpful for you, any other questions I can help with no problem, just let me know.

The help is no problem I was new to all of this a few months ago myself. Now I use Leopard as my main OS on a brand new machine. I only have vista installed in Parallels for the case if I ever need to do something in Windows.