Not recognizing certain NTFS partitions

jaybeatle

8 posts in this topic

First off, I want to thank everyone in the community for their hard work. Getting Leopard to run has proven to be a nice diversion.

The issue I'm having is Leopard not properly seeing two of NTFS partitions. For some clarification, I'm running a XP/Vista/Leopard tri boot with XP/Vista and two logical NTFS partitions on one SATA hard drive and Leopard on a completely seperate SATA hard drive. My mobo is a Gigabyte 965p-S3.

In Leopard, the XP and Vista partitions automount properly and I can read without any issue. I can also see my first logical partition, however, no files can be read. The second logical partition is nowhere to be found. Of course, both logical partitions are perfectly fine under windows.

The simple solution would simply to reformat the drives into FAT32, but these are 100+ GB partitions, so it might not be that great of a solution. i also don't really care about the ability to write to NTFS. I work on that issue later.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or has a solution? I'll keep on trying to search through the forums, but I haven't yet seen someone with the same problem.

First off, I want to thank everyone in the community for their hard work. Getting Leopard to run has proven to be a nice diversion.

The issue I'm having is Leopard not properly seeing two of NTFS partitions. For some clarification, I'm running a XP/Vista/Leopard tri boot with XP/Vista and two logical NTFS partitions on one SATA hard drive and Leopard on a completely seperate SATA hard drive. My mobo is a Gigabyte 965p-S3.

In Leopard, the XP and Vista partitions automount properly and I can read without any issue. I can also see my first logical partition, however, no files can be read. The second logical partition is nowhere to be found. Of course, both logical partitions are perfectly fine under windows.

The simple solution would simply to reformat the drives into FAT32, but these are 100+ GB partitions, so it might not be that great of a solution. i also don't really care about the ability to write to NTFS. I work on that issue later.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or has a solution? I'll keep on trying to search through the forums, but I haven't yet seen someone with the same problem.

are you GUID or MBR format?

I only ask as I think the Mac cannot read more than 4 drives w/ MBR afaik. In other words, disk0s5 will not really exist, even if it does as a logical drive in XP. At least not w/out likely issues.

I had to enable AHCI. One of my NTFS partitions showed up but always displayed 0 files, the other partition on the same drive was normal. After turning on AHCI for the yellow ports it worked like it did in Tiger.

Thanks a lot, that seemed to do it. Now just have to repair install XP and Vista. I was stupid at the time and never installed either under AHCI :P .

Mac OS X can read more than 4 partitions, on MBR with logincal/extended partitions.

On PC's however, the BIOS is tightly integrated with MBR (master boot record), which is the disk partition technology from IBM's first PC. Over the last two decades, MBR has been stretched to the limit, with hacks to support more than the four partitions it was designed to support, as well as disks larger than anyone could have ever imaged in 1982.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/Jan06.IntelMacsWin1b.html

It's an interesting article, but this 4 partition per disc limitation of MBR is very well known. Feel free to check it out for yourself.

Clearly, there are work arounds, but having more than four partitions on an MBR disc greatly increases the chance for problems down the road.