Dell D610, CANNOT get QE & CI enabled on ATI x300!

legionX

6 posts in this topic

Ok, this is so frustrating. I am soooooo close to ditching Windows for good but the only thing that is keeping me from doing it is because for some reason my ATI Radeon x300 REFUSES to work with QE & CI.........I have tried EVERYTHING I can find, and I've got it recognizing the card now, but still no QE & CI........no matter what I do NO QE & CI!!

I've just had it, all I want to be able to do is run some of the iLife apps like iWeb and stuff like that, but it won't work just because QE isn't enabled. Has anyone found a way to either force QE to enable or to make apps think that it's enabled???

Please I'm at the end of my rope with this QE stuff, there has to be some way of either enabling it or bypassing it. Others with D610s have gotten it to work.....but I simply cannot.

By ATI Radeon x300 i presume you mean X1300? If so the problem is that the Device ID Dell has on its Chip is not within the range of the drivers found on the forums, and clashes with something else if you try and add them.

DON't try and reprogramme the chip, as this will lead to a unwarranted Dell failure

SO, NOT supported!! I went and got an ASUS EN7300GS PCIe form my local shop, it cost 79 Euros, stuck it in and VIOLA! with the correct driver you can even rotate the display(why nobody knows)?

SticMAN

ps Save yourself the trouble, change!

Ok, this is so frustrating. I am soooooo close to ditching Windows for good but the only thing that is keeping me from doing it is because for some reason my ATI Radeon x300 REFUSES to work with QE & CI.........I have tried EVERYTHING I can find, and I've got it recognizing the card now, but still no QE & CI........no matter what I do NO QE & CI!!

I've just had it, all I want to be able to do is run some of the iLife apps like iWeb and stuff like that, but it won't work just because QE isn't enabled. Has anyone found a way to either force QE to enable or to make apps think that it's enabled???

Please I'm at the end of my rope with this QE stuff, there has to be some way of either enabling it or bypassing it. Others with D610s have gotten it to work.....but I simply cannot.

no, it's a laptop

and I mean Radeon x300

Several other members on here have apparently gotten theres to work.....but not matter how many times I try to follow their directions I cannot get it to work.

If I could actually find Callisto (and not the premade Callisto packages) I think that might actually help.

Does anyone know where you can download Callisto?? The starchaser website has been offline for a long time now.

anyone?? please

3 Laptops ago I had the same laptop you did... 2.0 GHz Pentium M, I remember it... I had the x300 to.. But i couldnt get the OSX DVD's to even get to the installers.

I have a x300 in my desktop and I cant get that to work... all I gotta say is.. .good luck, I dont think it will work.

Hey legionX, I've got a D610 running UpHuck 10.4.9 1.4i and I got QE and CI working tonight. I did it by following (sorta) the directions from these two pages:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=637

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22215

The interesting thing is that I made a mistake during the install that actually helped. Basically, I forgot to reset the permissions on the two Callisto Extensions, and as a result, things worked. I'll detail exactly what I did below, but I can't guarantee it'll work for you, since I'm not 100% sure what happened.

The blow-by-blow:

1) I downloaded a JaS 10.4.8 disc

2) I downloaded the Callisto b003 drivers from Omni's page http://omni.110mb.com/

3) I downloaded the Koverg patch from the link specified in this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=10415

4) I used software called "Pacificist" from http://www.charlessoft.com to extract all of the Extensions starting with ATIRadeon9700* from the 10.4.8 disc (there were 5 of them, and I had to use the search function in Pacifict to find them) and copied them into my /System/Library/Extensions folder

5) I copied the Callisto b003 drivers into my Extensions folder, overwriting the b008 ones I had originally installed with 10.4.9

6) I edited the file /System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist so that the string "41501002" (device 4150, manufacturer 1002) matched my hardware (for my D610 it was 54601002)

7) I ran the koverg patch, following the directions included with it (run a .sh script, and then edit a .kext so it reflects your device ID) NOTE: I think there's a typo in koverg's instructions. The file you want to edit is actually /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist and NOT /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Content/MacOS/Info.plist as the instructions tell you

8) I used the Disk Utility to reset permissions. *THIS IS WHERE I MESSED UP!* I don't know if Disk Utility doesn't affect the Callisto extensions, or if I accidentally ran this before I copied Callisto over. In any case, I didn't set permissions to 755 root:wheel on the two Callisto extensions before I rebooted

9) I deleted the files /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

10) I rebooted. When the GUI came back up, it told me that CallistoHAL.kext couldn't load because it was installed improperly. At this point, I hadn't yet realized my mistake with the permissions, so I checked the System Info. Behold! It was telling me that QE and CI were enabled! However, the system reported that I had some generic PCIe Display device with 128MB, which is wrong. I tested Google Earth, which worked much smoother than before. I was also seeing the mouse tearing that koverg users rant about. All good signs. Before my next reboot, I discovered my mistake with the permissions and set them manually with chown and chmod.

11) I rebooted again. This time, it didn't complain that CallistoHAL.kext was improperly installed. Google Earth still worked nice and smooth. However, when I went into System Info, it told me that QE and CI were NOT enabled. The system also reported that I had a Radeon Mobility M22 with 64MB, which is PRETTY close. I actually have a Radeon Mobility M24 with 64MB.

12) I deleted the two Callisto extensions and rebooted. This time, no nagging about the extensions at boot, and the System is back to thinking I have a generic PCIe Display adapter with 128MB with QE and CI enabled.

I haven't had time to test a lot of apps, but so far, this seems to be fooling the apps that check to see if you have QE and CI before they can run (DVD Player, Adobe Premiere, VLC Player). I'm finding that I can now play a DVD with VLC Player, but with the built-in DVD Player software, playback is weird and buggy (but at least it TRIES to play, whereas it would just crash before).

Good Luck! Let me know how it goes, or if you find out anything that might help me and other D610 users!

-Dave