How to make your own Leopard flat image - help!

keplenk

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm really not sure where to post this problem but I think this is the right thread.

I want to make my own flat-image like the one that can be found on tpb and it seems that I can't do it.

AFAIK, the flat image is a whole 15gb partition and when you DD it, it will always be 15gb.

These are the things I did so far:

1) Installed dual boot Leopard (1st partition - 15gb) / Tiger (2nd partition - 65gb)

2) After installing Leopard, I didn't go to the GUI where you put Region, Keyboard, names, etc / I just booted Tiger DVD and installed it. (I did this because, I can see that after you DD the flat image, you see the GUI, put region, names, etc)

3) Booted successfully in Tiger. I instaled CCC and SuperDuper hoping to clone the Leopard (partition 1 - 15gb)

4) I first used SuperDuper using "Backup - all files" / read-only (I have no clue what sandbox is) and cloned it. The clone file was only 5.0+ gb (not the expected 15gb like the flat image or the actual size of the Leopard partition)

5) I also used ccc just to be sure, but instead of usinh read-only, I tried sparse

6) Copy the two images made by Superduper and CCC to my Windows using NTFS-3G and tried to DD those two images

7) FAILED!

I tried to google this and I can't really find it. Also, I have a real mac book that has bootcamp installed (xp). Will this step also work?

Hi,

I just found out that the DD command is also the tools used to image the hard drive (not CCC or SuperDuper). I guess my question now is,

What is the DD command line in Windows, to copy target hard drive as image (my USB HDD, Partition 3) to my Windows Hard drive.

I'll edit the .bat file.

The dd command line inside batch file is:

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk3\Partition0 bs=5M --progress

What the exact opposite of this one? =)

THank you so much

go on to your mac, open terminal and type # man dd (alternatively you can do a google search but a quick breakdown of dd tells you something like this:

dd (disk duplicate) if=leopard-x86-flat-img (input file is) of=\\?\Device\Harddisk3\Partition0 (output file, yes, you can use ISO9660 architecture for an output file, not sure on the windows dd though) bs=5M (block size, you can set this to 128k or 5M, whatever you like) --progress (progress is not supported on all platforms, as an fyi)

so, you could, in theory, and we will use my hardware here, do this:

dd bs=5M if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/dev/rdisk1s1/testmyleopard.img --progress

Alternatively, you could download the Ubuntu liveboot cd and do it from a terminal window there, it reads HFS+ and NTFS natively... i hope this helps you a bit...

go on to your mac, open terminal and type # man dd (alternatively you can do a google search but a quick breakdown of dd tells you something like this:

dd (disk duplicate) if=leopard-x86-flat-img (input file is) of=\\?\Device\Harddisk3\Partition0 (output file, yes, you can use ISO9660 architecture for an output file, not sure on the windows dd though) bs=5M (block size, you can set this to 128k or 5M, whatever you like) --progress (progress is not supported on all platforms, as an fyi)

so, you could, in theory, and we will use my hardware here, do this:

dd bs=5M if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/dev/rdisk1s1/testmyleopard.img --progress

Alternatively, you could download the Ubuntu liveboot cd and do it from a terminal window there, it reads HFS+ and NTFS natively... i hope this helps you a bit...

Thanks so much for your reply. Im gonna try this, right now, Im still trying to explore the dd of Windows. Its somewhat kinda different from the OS X one :wacko:

I actually made a test image via dd of Windows, but when I boot from my External HDD it gives me "HFS+ Partition Error" .. When I go back to Windows and check Disk Management, it simply says that there is an Unallocated Space as if nothing happened.

After Im done with dd of Windows (Right now im still out of luck or probably Im just missing something), Im gonna try the dd of OS X. It seems more reliable, I dunno. My last resort is the real one, dd of Linux

Again, thanks for your help.

Hi,

I also managed to try dd from OS X since I was having problems with the dd from Windows. Now, I guess Im having the same problem as the Windows one. I manage to successfully image my Leopard hard drive using dd (I did this from tiger, dual boot) but it also resulted to

HFS+ partition error

Both for dd Windows and dd OS X.

When I go to Windows Disk Management, its blank (Unallocated space) BUT, BUT, when I use Transmac from Windows to browse my External hard drive where I dd extract Leopard, ITS THERE! with the HFS+ Volume and I could actually see the files in it. I even tried to copy one file and it copied. Weird is it doesnt show in Vista Disk Management.

Did Windows Disk Management go blind?

I know that it SHOULD show in Disk Management because the original Leopard-Flat-Image shows it as 15gb active partition. I can also confirm that my old installation like Tiger/HFS+ mac drives show in Disk Management but ofcouse not recognized in Windows Explorer.

I really someone could tell me how the flat image from tpb was created via dd.

When he did it, what was his setup? Was he in dual boot (tiger/leo) / or probably used 2 seperate hard drives / or did he use Windows to dd it? Linux? What was the exact dd line he used? I used alot of dd combinations already but resulted to the same error.

Please help.