P35-DS3P Brazilmac not booting without DVD

radian23

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. After reading posts from this site I decided to create a hackintosh with the following components

Gigabyte P35-DS3P Rev 2.0

2 GB of DDR2-800

500 GB Western Digital SATA Drive

Lite-on SATA DVD drive

PNY 7300gt pci express video card

intel e6750

I was able to install brazilmac by patching my retail copy of the DVD and was able to boot into the bios with -x -v. I tried to follow the brazilmac tutorial and use the kalyway 10.4.10 dvd but was unable to boot into the installation. I went ahead and installed leopard from the brazilmac patched DVD and was able to complete installation after formating the hard drive with HFS+ Journaled and 1 partition as MBR. After completing the installation I booted back into the DVD installation and used the post patch from a USB drive. I was able to format the USB key to HFS+ Journaled because I have a macbook pro. I am now able to boot into Leopard but have the following problems.

1. Shutdown, Sleep, Restart. When I do these things the computer stalls out and I have to hold down the power button. I have read other posts and hope I don't have to disable a core. Anyone have any luck getting a reliable sleep, shutdown, restart? This problem started after I installed the audio drivers.

2. I cannot start leopard without having the brazilmac patched DVD in the DVD drive. Does it have to do with setting the partition as active? I'm kinda lost on this topic :D . Any help would be appreciated.

3. In system profiler the serial-ata option shows the controller as being AHCI generic. Does this have any affect on software compatibility of performance?

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributes on this forum. Without this forum I would never have built this super fast cheap hackintosh. :huh:

I also wanted to note that my 7300GT was recognized correctly with CI/QE hardware accelerated and supported with no patching.

Your 2nd question, about not booting w/o the BrazilMacDVD in the drive, I fixed by reading a lot of posts at various places. I'm not sure why, something to do with the way Leopard boots, and MBR on harddisks being different. You should install tiger first (doesn't even have to work), which will do what it needs to do to the drive. Then go ahead and install the modded leopard disc (and patcher). I'm looking into the pc_efi 8.0 solution, but afraid to try it just yet. 1, don't know enough about it, 2, I just got leopard to work on it's own yesterday lol.

I haven't tried time machine yet, but did make a ghost image of the installation. This is a dedicated hard drive btw, not a partition shared with anything else. I have a Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 with OC's core 2 duo 2.56 cpu (you cannot put the ram speed above 800mhz if you oc). DVD drive is a lightscribe 940 hp DL/RW

1. Shutdown, Sleep, Restart. When I do these things the computer stalls out and I have to hold down the power button. I have read other posts and hope I don't have to disable a core. Anyone have any luck getting a reliable sleep, shutdown, restart? This problem started after I installed the audio drivers.

2. I cannot start leopard without having the brazilmac patched DVD in the DVD drive. Does it have to do with setting the partition as active? I'm kinda lost on this topic ;) . Any help would be appreciated.

3. In system profiler the serial-ata option shows the controller as being AHCI generic. Does this have any affect on software compatibility of performance?

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributes on this forum. Without this forum I would never have built this super fast cheap hackintosh. :D

I also wanted to note that my 7300GT was recognized correctly with CI/QE hardware accelerated and supported with no patching.

Hey I just finished a build with nearly identical hardware. I wrote a full install guide, with EFI, GUID (allows resizing partitions), and vanilla kernels/kexts. I got everything working fully.

My recommendation, if you have not gone too far with your installation, is to start over and follow the guide. However, I know that it is a pain. So:

1) which audio drivers did you use? That could be the problem. Mine did not cause any problems. See my install guide for info on which ones I used (AppleHDA.kext and ALCinject.kext). You should not have to disable a core.

2) I would try to install pc_efi. there is a guide in the 10.5 installatation forum (it is called efi + guid guide, and its stickied). It should work with MBR as well, and just skip the part where you re-partition your hard drive. Also, that section is covered in my guide.

3) AHCI mode is the only compatibly one. Leave it like that, it is good and normal.

It sounds like you have several problems with your installation. I would recommend that you start over with my guide, because I think you could get a much more stable and working installation. It does not require a previous install, just the patched dvd (which you have), a thumbdrive, and your other mac (or probably any other computer). I compiled all the files you need. I got working sleep, shutdown, restart, and startup without the dvd.

EDIT. here is the EFI section from my guide:

-download EFI Pack from http://rapidshare.com/files/75234066/EFI_Pack.zip.html

-copy EFI Pack and brazilmac patch to thumbdrive (but keep thumbdrive plugged in to the old (working) computer

boot into dvd, and open disk utility

find the name you chose for your leopard hard drive(Mac OS X Leopard for me) in the sidebar and select it, then click info. write down the Disk Identifier (mine is disk1s2)

**go back to the old computer (let the new one be) and open up EFI.sh on thumbdrive/EFI Pack

Find this line, and change to this: Patch="/Volumes/thumbdrivename/EFI Pack/pc_efi_v80" (change thumbdrivename to the name of your thumbdrive, duh)

find this: EFI="/dev/rdiskXsY" and replace X and Y with what you got from the disk identifier from disk utility on the new computer (so i put /dev/rdisk1s2)

find this: DRIVE="/dev/diskX" and change X to the number you got from disk identifier (so i put /dev/disk1)

now copy brazilmac patch to thumbdrive, open up 9a581PostPatch.sh

change to Patch="/Volumes/thumbdrivename/brazilmac patch/leopatch"

change to Leo="/Volumes/leopardvolumename"

--be smart (by changing "leopardvolumename" to the name of your leopard hard drive, same for thumbdrivename)

now save the files and eject the thumbdrive

**go to new computer

in sidebar of disk utility, click on your volume and click unmount

quit disk utility

now plug the thumbdrive into the new computer

go to Utilities -> Terminal

cd /Volumes <press enter>

cd thumbdrivename <press enter> (put a forward slash [ \ ] before all spaces, apostrophes, and other symbols)

cd EFI\ Pack <press enter>

./EFI.sh <press enter>

It should say stuff, but no errors. this is important. read through what it tells you, and make sure there are no errors. if you get something like "file does not exist" then check the path names. This is bad

if its all good, continue. if not, fix it.

i said "N" to the reboot so i could check for errors. now that there are none:

reboot <press enter>

wait a little while for it to reboot(maybe 3-4 minutes if it appears to freeze, and then pull the plug (no harm done, it will still work))

at bios post, choose boot disk (means pressing F12), and choose the volume with leopard on it

if everything is as it should be, you will get this: "System config file 'blahblahblah' not found" (actually you already installed, so you should NOT see this). This is GOOD! if you get "verifying DMI Pool Data" and it hangs, you are in bad shape. make sure you didn't miss any steps, or screw them up. Use common sense, i MAY have missed something (lol haha). if your good, move on.

Hope that helps!