Mirroring a network share to a local directory?

InorganicMatter

3 posts in this topic

I'm sure there's a way to due this with nix directory linking, but I don't know how to do it in Mac OS.

The deal is, I've got a file server with all my movies on it, shared as SMB share named "Movies." What I want, is the "Movies" folder in my user acount on my Mac to mirror all the files that are on the file server's share. If I go to /Users/Stephen/Movies, I want to SEE all the stuff on my file server share, but of course the files won't actually be on my local system, they will simply be linked over the network.

The goal is to trick Front Row so I can set up a Mac Mini HTPC.

Is the server Windows or *NIX based? I'm not sure if Mac OSX supports it, but if the server is *NIX based then the first thing that comes to mind is NFS. NFS will accomplish exactly what you are wanting, you can mount a share directly over the network locally.

I'm still a OSX newbie so I may not be of much help :huh:

/Users/Stephen/Movies

Cool name btw! I'm a Stephen as well :D

Is the server Windows or *NIX based? I'm not sure if Mac OSX supports it, but if the server is *NIX based then the first thing that comes to mind is NFS. NFS will accomplish exactly what you are wanting, you can mount a share directly over the network locally.

I'm still a OSX newbie so I may not be of much help :o

Alas, it is running Server 2003. :unsure: Any other suggestions?

Cool name btw! I'm a Stephen as well :|

STEVOS UNITE!