Building my First Hackintosh

jasonvp

7 posts in this topic

Hey folks -

After doing some reading on this and other forums, I've whipped up a Hackintosh wish list at NewEgg (hey.. can someone buy it for me? .. ;-)) It can be viewed here. What I'm looking for from the experts: will these components make for a usable Hack? Noticeably missing from the list is the RAM, which I'll order directly from Crucial.

I have a couple of concerns, mainly centered around the CPU. I understand the Yorkfields may have some sort of nasty bug? Has anyone here actually run into it?

Any other gotchas I should watch out for?

Thanks!

jas

I wouldn't really spend a lot of money for experimental work. For $1100 alone I had put together a Windows Machine that runs pretty well and all the games decently.

Now this is what I am currently getting this week to build My Hac.

My Hac

If you were to take out power supply, put that case and Video Card you chose and if you wanted to bump the processor up to say a E6600 or a E6750, I think that would be better spent than that 1,300 on that one processor alone. Not many Games on the Mac that can take advantage of that processor or any programs.

Your motherboard is 1066 and your CPU is 1333 it wont work, you need to change your motherboard to P35 or better.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was a little concerned that that would be a problem. Looks like Q35 MoBos have the proper FSB. But of the ASUS models that use that chipset, I don't see any of them listed in the hardware compatibility guide. :-(

Not many Games on the Mac that can take advantage of that processor or any programs

Thanks, but I want a quad core machine. Photoshop and Final Cut are both multi-threaded, and will run smoother with access to more than 2 cores (of course, this depends on what you're doing). And, it also allows for someone to run more than 1 CPU-intensive application at a time.

jas

Thanks for the help. I've updated the Hac; sans CPU. I picked the 3GHz Kentsfield quad-core, but since it's a "combo deal" with a Quake game, it can't go on a wish list. For the MoBo, I went with the ASUS P5K-E LGA. It's not listed, but it has the appropriate North and South bridges.

jas