MacBook Pro vs. iMac

5 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am very new to Mac's and wanted to buy one for the holidays. The only problem is that I have no clue which one I want. I am starting to get very interested in video editing (nothing "big" as I am a teen) and was intrigued by a iMac (24 inch). Since I am used to a laptop, I'd want to get a MacBook Pro (15.4 inch). I will be working with Final Cut Studio. My major problem is the lack of upgrading in laptops. I heard that upgrading a iMac is possible. Here are my questions:

• Which one would you buy?
  • How is the performance in a MacBook Pro? (Running intense programs or games)
  • Which one is best for me?

Thanks for answering!!

**NOTE : I lean towards the laptop side more because I like being portable.

I just got a MBP 2weeks ago low end model (2.2GHz 128MB 2GB RAM) I haven't tried FCS yet but I'd imagine it runs fine I'll try it out tomorrow for curiosity sakes. I use it for photoshop and illustrator mostly and does get a little hot and fans start whirling periodically not bothersome at all though actually really quiet. If you want portability the imac isn't for you, also if your a matte screen person imac isn't for you - (still can't believe they only offer glossy i walked into apple just to play around with an MBP first thing i saw was a 24inch Imac and I just walked by it and it distracted me reflecting the lights and myself like a mirror, how any1 can stand that I don't know then again I let little things get to me too much). Anyways doing Video editing I'd recommend 4gigs of ram but don't purchase from apple - 2gigs can be purchased cheaply from 3rd party vendor and installed yourself.

The MacBook Pro overall performs better than the iMac, not by much, but it does. It's barely noticeable, but the MBP is the stronger computer. I absolutely love mine (15" 2.2Ghz, low end 128MB VRAM model, upgraded to 4GB RAM). However, I needed the portability because I take mine back and forth to work. Even when I'm at home, it's nice to have it wherever I am in the house. I also get amazing battery life on it (I've tested 4 hours leaving Starcraft and Warcraft 3 running at the same time, and 6:30 hours on idle). The speakers aren't bad at all on it, also. If you're looking for a great notebook (remember, they aren't laptops! :D), then the MBP is your notebook.