General directions for quad-core Leo machine

LjStef

2 posts in this topic

Hi Guys ;) ,

I would like to summarize the info and the facts I have collected in the past two weeks since I started to build the concept of my future Leo machine. Can any of you agree or disagree with the direction I am going:

1. quad-core mobo: a) Bad Axe 2; alternative ASUS P5W DH Deluxe; Any suggestions for newer but fully tested quad-core mobo for Leo?
  2. graphics card: GeForce 7300 GT or higher (can you recommend some and the amount of memory);
  3. DVD R/W: any good brand with SATA 2 (for instance Plextor);
  4. HD: two ore three big ones with SATA 2 interface (for instance Seagate).

I would like to use this machine for music production with Logic Audio.

If I would like to use my old ATA HDs, would I have to buy a ATA/SATA converter? It looks like Leo does not like PATA DVD drivers and HDs as it looks like it prefers nVidia graphics cards over ATI!?

Is this true? Am I going in right direction? :(

Hi Guys :P ,

I would like to summarize the info and the facts I have collected in the past two weeks since I started to build the concept of my future Leo machine. Can any of you agree or disagree with the direction I am going:

1. quad-core mobo: a) Bad Axe 2; alternative ASUS P5W DH Deluxe; Any suggestions for newer but fully tested quad-core mobo for Leo?
  2. graphics card: GeForce 7300 GT or higher (can you recommend some and the amount of memory);
  3. DVD R/W: any good brand with SATA 2 (for instance Plextor);
  4. HD: two ore three big ones with SATA 2 interface (for instance Seagate).

I would like to use this machine for music production with Logic Audio.

If I would like to use my old ATA HDs, would I have to buy a ATA/SATA converter? It looks like Leo does not like PATA DVD drivers and HDs as it looks like it prefers nVidia graphics cards over ATI!?

Is this true? Am I going in right direction? ^_^

1. Intel Q6600/BadAxe2 works well for me, only patch is Audio and AppleSMBIOS.kext, easy to do though.

2. Any Geforce 7 series will do I think. I always buy nVidia/intel over ATI/AMD.

3. I like Samsung SATA DVDRW drives, LiteOn also works.

4. Seagates are good, plus 5 year warranty.

I'm not sure about PATA drives, I don't see why it wouldn't work.