New AMD DVD - Disk Utility Problem, doesn't progress on erase

arthur5005

14 posts in this topic

Hey there guys, long time GNU Linux user here. and was hoping to see if I could switch over to mac osx.

I have an AMD Sempron 3400 + SSE3 64 bit

nforce motherboard etc.

So I was using the new 32 bit AMD dvd.

using this tutorial (to a degree)

http://osx86.thefreesuite.com/leo_amd.php

The only part I haven't followed to be honest is the partitioning in windows. I went straight into the installaton on the new AMD DVD (which started up great). Using the disk utility, tried to erase my linux partition, and it just sits there, with the message 'Preparing to erase'. doen't crash, doesn't freeze.. just sits there, taunting me.. trying my patience! lol! . Well of course the install doesn't seem to mount ext3 file systems.. so I figured that may be the source of the problem. Loaded up a live linux cd. reformatted it to NTFS.. tried to erase that into an HFS+ again, this time after having searched the forums (here), someone who seemed to have the same problem where it would just sit there, suggested Zeroing Out all the data, and then it would format to HFS+.. but this is not the case.. it's now just sitting there saying 'Preparing to zero disk'.

Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience, trying to format partitions in the install, and if there's any special things I should be doing to prepare the partition, for that's what I suspect is the problem. If all else fails, I can format the partition as HFS+ in linux, but that might take sometime preparing the software on to a live CD, as mkfs.hfsplus (make filesystem hfsplus command line) doesn't come standard on most live CDs.

I hope I've showed enough burden in to having searched the forums. If not, I'd really like to suggest, that the admin lower the anti-search-flood time. because it certaintly isn't 20 seconds lol! I seriously have taken the time to search as adaquetly as possible, but if anyone can link to the proper thread that might already cover this info. Also, is there a verbose mode of the installation process so I can see what it's up to?

Thanks in advanced

Best

Arthur

Hey there guys, long time GNU Linux user here. and was hoping to see if I could switch over to mac osx.

I have an AMD Sempron 3400 + SSE3 64 bit

nforce motherboard etc.

So I was using the new 32 bit AMD dvd.

using this tutorial (to a degree)

http://osx86.thefreesuite.com/leo_amd.php

The only part I haven't followed to be honest is the partitioning in windows. I went straight into the installaton on the new AMD DVD (which started up great). Using the disk utility, tried to erase my linux partition, and it just sits there, with the message 'Preparing to erase'. doen't crash, doesn't freeze.. just sits there, taunting me.. trying my patience! lol! . Well of course the install doesn't seem to mount ext3 file systems.. so I figured that may be the source of the problem. Loaded up a live linux cd. reformatted it to NTFS.. tried to erase that into an HFS+ again, this time after having searched the forums (here), someone who seemed to have the same problem where it would just sit there, suggested Zeroing Out all the data, and then it would format to HFS+.. but this is not the case.. it's now just sitting there saying 'Preparing to zero disk'.

Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience, trying to format partitions in the install, and if there's any special things I should be doing to prepare the partition, for that's what I suspect is the problem. If all else fails, I can format the partition as HFS+ in linux, but that might take sometime preparing the software on to a live CD, as mkfs.hfsplus (make filesystem hfsplus command line) doesn't come standard on most live CDs.

I hope I've showed enough burden in to having searched the forums. If not, I'd really like to suggest, that the admin lower the anti-search-flood time. because it certaintly isn't 20 seconds lol! I seriously have taken the time to search as adaquetly as possible, but if anyone can link to the proper thread that might already cover this info. Also, is there a verbose mode of the installation process so I can see what it's up to?

Thanks in advanced

Best

Arthur

You were supposed to format as FAT filesystem. Leopard don't like NTFS or ext2.

arthur: I have had issues with that with Tiger. I've used several different versions of 10.4 and never succeeded at formatting the hard drive to the Mac one. It just sat there, and the times I let it go longer than 20 minutes timed out. I have had the drive formatted as FAT32, too.

arthur: I have had issues with that with Tiger. I've used several different versions of 10.4 and never succeeded at formatting the hard drive to the Mac one. It just sat there, and the times I let it go longer than 20 minutes timed out. I have had the drive formatted as FAT32, too.

Yeah thanks for the solidarity there. Yeah I tried formatting in FAT32. And I did also in the mean time follow the steps in that tutorial there step by step. Making unallocated space. and setting the partition type to AF. which in both circumstances did not work. Also tried formatting fat32, then changed the partition type id to AF as well. (using partition magic's partition table editor) still no luck. It just times out every time.. to top that off I even got a copy of Parted Magic, which is Gparted with HFS+ partition creation support. Although it doesn't set it to the right Partition Type, it's still on 86. I changed the flags to make it a Prep. And then the type changed to some PPC prep drive or sorts. I can't quite remember the hex value associated with it. but it seems that just absolutely none of them want to Erase.. last thing to do is a check disk of sorts. and do an all zero format in another format.

Anyone know of any other reliable program that'll preformat a partition to HFS+ outside of the disk utility?

thanks

Best

Arthur

Guest Snowski

Hmm I don't recommended OSX and WINDOWS (or HFS+ and NTFS) on the same drive except for storage.

Just start with a clean fully erased drive and partition with the disk utility from the DVD. I think it's possible to allocate unused space in the disk utlility and use this for NTFS storage or Win install later on. But then of course you can get into trouble with the bootloader.

The cheapest way and this is how I first evaded the format/partition etc issues

is by getting a cheap PATA (i had an old one laying around and bought an USB case for it) and dedicate the drive to OSX. If you use an external USB drive make sure your motherboard can boot to USB just in case.

Good luck!

Hmm I don't recommended OSX and WINDOWS (or HFS+ and NTFS) on the same drive except for storage.

Just start with a clean fully erased drive and partition with the disk utility from the DVD. I think it's possible to allocate unused space in the disk utlility and use this for NTFS storage or Win install later on. But then of course you can get into trouble with the bootloader.

The cheapest way and this is how I first evaded the format/partition etc issues

is by getting a cheap PATA (i had an old one laying around and bought an USB case for it) and dedicate the drive to OSX. If you use an external USB drive make sure your motherboard can boot to USB just in case.

Good luck!

thanks for the info. as you can see I've gone into the late hour of the night doing this *laughs* and still no success even with kalykays tiger boot cd. I really want to keep my windows partition. so what I'll probably do is keep an image of my windows partition and start fresh. That's really good advice for now I have to admit.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Best

Arthur

Hmmm so it doesn't take my drive at all.. just sits there and does nothing on 'Creating Partition Map' on a fully formatted unallocatted space drive.. is there anything I should know regarding patches or bios settings (there's really nothing I can change in my bios settings other than my HD accoustics) for a Serial ATA HD (WDC WD800JD-75MSA3)?

if someone knows anything that might be helpful in letting leopard know my hd is open for business, please let me know

Best

Arthur.

*bumb* sorry.. just really curious has anyone had seen these symptoms before? OS X install finds the drive with the (probably through the partition table), but can't actively do anything to the drive or partitions? (Tiger and Leopard)thanks in advanceArthurah, I think I came across the right information. I most likely have to change my SATA mode in my bios (AHCI?), a lot of people seem to have problems with the installation recognizing the SATA . Unfortunately Dell's Dimension C521 stock bios doesn't seem to offer any SATA modes. any one know of any hack bioses?thanks againBestArthur

"OS X install finds the drive with the (probably through the partition table), but can't actively do anything to the drive or partitions?" Those are the exact words i wanted to ask by starting a thread.. Have had to break my head over the same issue arthur.. really annoying . :( I am looking at this thread as much as you probably are looking....

so request from my part as well to the experts to help us out with this.. thnaks in advance ..

Culprit Hard Disk: Seagate 250gb SATA II 8 mb cache.

Same problem here.

Culprit: 4 Different IDE Drives (Checked 1 with spin rite - 50% done .. no problems found)

With 1 of the hard drives I get to actually INSTALL!! But then it instantly says Installation failed. Could not write to the drive.. or something like your disk may be damaged.

• 2 months later...