Intel P35 adventures...

AndrewNZ

8 posts in this topic

Ugraded to an Intel DP35DP MB running a Core 2 Duo (E4500) with an 8500GT GFX card and 2GB RAM.

Still using the old Raid0 for Windows and a separate IDE drive for OS X86.

Attempting to boot from an IDE DVD drive which is the master on the IDE channel. OS X drive is on the same cable as a slave. (Also tried it the other way...)

In verbose mode, the stalled install says it's "still waiting for boot device" or somesuch.

Install never completes. I'm guessing that although the initial OS X86 boot is from the DVD drive, as soon as the disk OS kicks in, it loses track of the DVD drive. And the "Waiting" error occurs. I suppose that the name or device ID of the optical drive is hard-coded into the install script or some Plist or other on the DVD, and if the BIOS reports it as something other than the expected device # or device name, then it's all over Rover.

So far I've tried the DVD drive on its own as a master on the board's single IDE port, as a slave on its own, as a slave to the IDE HDD and as master to that same drive.

I have also tried a PCI>IDE card with each drive in turn in the blue and red ports as alternatively slave and master, to no avail. In fact, with the PCI/IDE adaptor card connecter to either the DVD drive or the HDD, more often than not, the bios refused to boot. So the 2 day old PCI/IDE card is in retirement now.

I used this very same DVD to install OS X86 on my rather modest P4P800 motherboard in the past and frankly it installed just fine.

I've searched here and other OS X on PC sites without success, so I think I might just have to give this OS X84 thing a miss unless anybody can offer a solution.

Anybody that can advise, please let me know.

Thanks in anticipation.

:-)

EDIT: Installer runs from SATA DVD-RW, but see below for new issues. *sigh*

EDIT2: Install completed. See below for how I fluked it.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=66787#"" target="_blank">This seems to be the solution.

I have the same mobo and the only way to install os x is having SATA HD and DVD player. In the BIOS you set your HD to AHCI mode, not IDE or RAID, it won't recognize boot after install.

My computer works just perfect, only LAN driver is missing and internal sound... I just bought a USB Lan adaptor and I have my external USB soundcard and I can't complain at all, everything is working great.

Just let me know if you need any help...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=66787#"" target="_blank">This seems to be the solution.
Thanks for the advice. I'll bite the bullet and upgrade the DVDROM to a SATA one today. Looks like it'll be around $40 US ($60 NZ) for a model that does everything including DVD-RAM so it's not a bank-breaker. The existing DVD drive is about 4 years old so I suppose it's time to retire it anyway.I'll update this thread when I've had a chance to try out the new drive and have some results either way.Your advice has been spot on so far so I have high hopes for a solution. :thumbsup_anim: Cheers,Andy.
dp35dp has a p35 express chipset. You have to installer mac with a USB DVD ROM (with a USB-IDE adapter) or SATA DVD ROM. Put the sata controller in AHCI mode: when the installation will finish boot and install my patch, reboot and set sata controller to IDE.
Thanks for the advice and the links. Much appreciated. :hysterical: Cheers,Andy.

Well, life was never meant to be easy I guess.

Upgraded to Sata DVD writer and took the opportunity to tidy up internal cables and blast out the dust bunnies. Cathartic experience. :)

Checked the drives were all working OK in Vista before rebooting and changing the Raid setting to AHCI in the BIOS. DVD drive lit up and began the boot process. Lots of disc activity and into the install screen. Yaaaayyyy!!!

Onto the Disk utility for drive selection and... whoops - IDE (OS X86) drive is not visible. The 3 SATA drives are there... 2HDDs making up the Raid0 and the DVD writer. No IDE device in sight.

So, one step forward and one step back.

Not too sure where to go from here, but thanks for the help thus far.

Cheers,

Andy.

i had similer issues installing on an older spec rig. i had the same "waiting for boot device" issues and once i was passed that i had no IDE hard drive showing up.

My waiting for boot.... issue was down to the written DVD. had to reburn on a quality DVD at 2x that fixed that! i fixed the HD issue by having my DVD drive and IDE HD on the same IDE controller the DVD as MASTER and the HD as SLAVE (jumper settings).

after that my Uphuck v1.4 10.4.9 installed fine.

Hope it helps.

J.

i had similer issues installing on an older spec rig. i had the same "waiting for boot device" issues and once i was passed that i had no IDE hard drive showing up.

My waiting for boot.... issue was down to the written DVD. had to reburn on a quality DVD at 2x that fixed that! i fixed the HD issue by having my DVD drive and IDE HD on the same IDE controller the DVD as MASTER and the HD as SLAVE (jumper settings).

after that my Uphuck v1.4 10.4.9 installed fine.

Hope it helps.

J.

Thanks for the response.

I had an older setup myself and the uphuck DVD installed fine, minus the usual newbie errors on my part. Since upgrading to an Intel MBoard with the P35 chipset, it appears that in order for the install to work, your DVD drive must be either a USB external or a SATA version. I chose to go the SATA route.

To get the OS X installer to recognise the SATA DVD drive, the BIOS must be changed so that the HDD controller is switched from SATA mode to AHCI. That works, and the installer loads. Problem is when it gets there, disk utility cannot see the IDE (PATA) drive I want to install OS X86 on. Seemingly because AHCI mode renders the IDE drive invisible to the installer.

The cost of a new USB DVD drive means that approach, assuming it'll even work with my setup, is not feasible economically - for a novelty at any road. And I have a Mac for running my Mac software, so it's not lke I have to succeed in this. :D

But I'm a dog with a bone sometimes, and the idea of being defeated doesn't sit well. But if there really is no way to get the install completed with my rig, then cést la vie. :D

Sorry about the long-winded response but I just wanted to be clear.

Cheers,

Andy.

Never say never...

I don't know if anyone is actually following this odyssey or not but, hey, I might need this info again some day and my memory ain't gonna get better so this is as good a place as any to keep it available. ;)

I couldn't leave well enough alone so I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out a solution. Here's what I did.

Bought a cheapo USB2 external enclosure.

Stripped the PATA (IDE) drive back out of the PC and bunged it into the enclosure.

Back to the BIOS to reset the SATA controller to AHCI.

Made the USB bootable in the BIOS.

Set the boot order to DVDRW, Floppy, HDD.

Set the HDD in the USB2 external to boot first.

Quit the BIOS after save and restarted.

Put the install disk in the (now) AHCI DVD-RW and let it boot.

Eureka. It booted into the setup/install program and Disk Utility let me see the OS X86 IDE (now USB) drive. Cowabunga dudes!!! All is good.

Knowing that my old install would have major issues with the upgraded hardware, I got Disk Utility to erase the OS X86 volume. Well, that was the plan, anyhoo. Didn't quite work out that way.

The DU hung on the "Preparing" stage of the erase. Drat...

Quit DU and attempted to reselect the drives. No go. No idea why but no drives were visible. None. Zip. Zilch...

And the DU seemed to be locked in an endless loop.

Restarted the PC with the Reset button and waited until the install screens re-appeared. Dack into DU.

This time the OS X86 volume was greyed out and had the BSD name Disk2s0.

Interesting. And totally beyond my knowledge.

However, It let me select it and I attempted to verify/repair. No go. DU wouldn't allow it.

I was about to boot the sides of the PC in. when I had a shot in the dark.

I ran "Erase". It worked!!! Halleluiah - a fresh OS X86 volume called "Tiger".

It showed up in the install screen after I quit DU, and after selecting the minimum number of patches, it ran through the install routines and I rebooted.

Oops... There was an error message from Windows about a bootloader being missing. I slapped myself upside the head as I realised that I hadn't returned the SATA to its proper state.

Back to the BIOS to return SATA fron AHCI and make sure the boot order was as it should be.

Restart and whoopdee-doo... Booted through the first run process into OS X86 Tiger.

Not that anything much works, you understand, but that's hurdle #1 conquered.

Now, about the {censored} graphics. And no network. And no sound...

Ah, that's for another day. Time for sleep. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Andy.