Need help with GA-P35-DS3P motherboard

11 posts in this topic

I built a new computer and I'm having problems getting it working. I want to dual boot Windows XP and OSX 10.4.

Windows XP won't install at all. I've tried 3 seperate install discs. The installer starts to load and I get a blue screen with this message: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"......STOP: 0x0000007B" I get this same error when I try to startup with an ERD Commander boot disc.

Vista, Ubuntu and Knoppix all install and run fine. Jas 10.4.8 installs and boots fine, but there are a few glitches.

With Uphuck 10.4.9 when I start up from the disc I get a grey screen with a black box that says:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

Uphuck is supposed to work with this motherboard, and I'd like to try it before I spend time trying to get Jas to work right.

When I try to boot with Acronis I get this message: "Acronis Loader fatal error: Boot drive (partition) not found.

Press <Enter> to try to boot your OS". I push enter and Vista loads just fine.

It won't boot up with Hiren's Boot CD.

This is my setup:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P REV 2.0 motherboard

PNY 7300GT graphics card

two 500 GB HDs and DVD drive, all SATA

4 GB RAM

2.66 Ghz intel proccessor

I think something is wrong with my hardware setup, or I don't have the bios setup right. I'm new to building computers and OSX86. I tried searching but can't figure out what my problem is. Thanks for any help.

Ok I figured out how to get other versions of OSX86 besides Jas. SATA has to be turned off in the bios to get the installer discs to boot, but the installer doesn't see the whole HD. Then after OSX installs, SATA has to be set to AHCI to get the machine to boot from the HD.

With XP, SATA has to be turned off to install, then the drivers need to be installed, then the bios can be set to AHCI. This information may have been here, but I couldn't find it.

I'm still having problems though. I've tried Jas 10.4.6, Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i r3, Kalyway 10.4.10, and Myz 10.4.6.

The mouse is sometimes screwed up, with all versions of OSX86 I've tried. When I click and drag, the mouse keeps clicking as a drag. This is fixed by going to sleep and waking from sleep.

Sleep randamly works, in all of them, sometimes I can sleep 3 times in a row, then the 4th time it doesn't work.

Restart doesn't work in Kalyway 10.4.10. It works fine with Uphuck and Jas.

My sound kext doesn't work in Kalyway 10.4.10, I get this message on startup: "The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update." It works fine with Jas and Uphuck.

I think next I'm going to try to start with Jas 10.4.6 or Uphuck 10.4.9 and then upgrade to Kalyway 10.4.10 and see if I can keep restart and sound. I'll also try 10.5. I don't know what else to do, I've been trying for 3 days, I'm regretting getting this motherboard.

Hey

I have the exact same mobo as you, and I just finished installing leopard. I used a retail dvd patched with brazilmac. I also installed efi, meaning that you can use software update to update leopard with no fear of breaking it.

Everything works 100% (shutdown/restart is hit or miss, but sleep is fine).

I wrote a full install guide for the entire process. Gives you adjustable partition sizes, dual boot, etc. If you follow this, you should be good.

I think that it is a good motherboard.

It sounds like you may have missed something when building the computer. Maybe you should go through and make sure you got everything. Also, if you can find a hardware test to run from vista, you should try it. Make sure the hardware side is fine.

Thanks for replying. I tried Brazilmac's 10.5 and it wouldn't boot, I might try again using your instructions, but I'll probably wait for Uphuck's 10.5 release.

I used Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i r3, and it is working almost perfectly. Sleep, Restart, Shutdown work fine. I have 2 small problems. The mouse is screwed up when the computer first boots up. When I click and drag, the mouse clicks repeatedly while I'm dragging. It gets fixed when I sleep and then wake. The other small problem I have is when I empty trash, the trash makes it's noise and the files are deleted, but they all are still there and the files only go away when I click their icons. I tried the Kalyway 10.4.10 update and everything was really screwed up.

I had problems installing both XP and OSX in separate partitions on the same HD, this post helped me get both working on the same HD.

Ethernet was working until I installed and booted XP. I enabled onboard lan boot rom in the bios and now ethernet works, but it adds 30 seconds to booting.

Uphuck's 10.4.9 is working so well that I'm moving all the files from my old powerbook over, and am going to make this my main computer, and am going to erase my laptop.

Thanks for replying. I tried Brazilmac's 10.5 and it wouldn't boot, I might try again using your instructions, but I'll probably wait for Uphuck's 10.5 release.

I used Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i r3, and it is working almost perfectly. Sleep, Restart, Shutdown work fine. I have 2 small problems. The mouse is screwed up when the computer first boots up. When I click and drag, the mouse clicks repeatedly while I'm dragging. It gets fixed when I sleep and then wake. The other small problem I have is when I empty trash, the trash makes it's noise and the files are deleted, but they all are still there and the files only go away when I click their icons. I tried the Kalyway 10.4.10 update and everything was really screwed up.

I had problems installing both XP and OSX in separate partitions on the same HD, this post helped me get both working on the same HD.

Ethernet was working until I installed and booted XP. I enabled onboard lan boot rom in the bios and now ethernet works, but it adds 30 seconds to booting.

Uphuck's 10.4.9 is working so well that I'm moving all the files from my old powerbook over, and am going to make this my main computer, and am going to erase my laptop.

ok good job for getting it working!

regarding your ethernet, I just saw this blog entry (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=167&showentry=306) that seems to correspond to what you are talking about. maybe that will help.

I think you would do well with my guide... but of course i do, i made it lol

well good luck getting it fully working!

Thanks, social swimmer. I was able to get ethernet to work with lan boot rom disabled following advice from your link.

I also narrowed down my weird mouse problem to one USB port. The mouse works fine from startup if I use a different USB port. But it has to be a problem with OS X because that port works fine in XP.

I have a new problem. I tried overclocking and when I overclock, sleep doesn't work. The computer goes to sleep but when it wakes I just get a blue screen. Thats not a big deal. But SpeedStep doesn't work when I overclock. SpeedStep (or whatever the windows name for it is) works in XP. So the processor idles hotter in OS X than XP. Does that matter? Is SpeedStep just a power saver, or does it reduce the wear and tear on the computer?

your usb mouse problem is really weird. I have both mouse and keyboard plugged into a hub, which has only been tested with the front 2 ports, and one back port. Do other things work in that port? does system profiler recognize that port correctly? I will go test my mouse (and hub) in every port when I can boot again. I managed to break my install.

I overclocked as well. CPU to 3.28 GHz, RAM to 1025 MHZ. The important thing in terms of CPU longevity is the temperature. If you are idling at a safe temp, then speedstep is unnecessary. I read that with stock clock speeds and cooling, a cpu can run at full throttle for like 100 years. Use Temperature Monitor to monitor the temp of your cpu from OS X (it is even hackintosh compatible) (make sure to disable the Hard drive sensor, it can wear out your hard drive and prevent sleep).

Speedstep is mostly a power saver. Theoretically, idling at a lower temp does reduce wear and tear on your CPU, but as long as you are idling at a safe temp, you are fine.

I do not remember if sleep ever worked after overclocking. I broke my install pretty soon after overclocking lol..... When it works again, I will check.

Just curious, what settings did you use for overclocking? what XBench results did you get (in CPU, ram, total with and without disk test)?

The only setting I changed for overclocking was increasing the CPU frequency from 333 to 399. Because that was the highest setting of the overclocking program that came with the motherboard, and I don't know what I'm doing. The program didn't work, but I did the same setting in the bios, I left everything else on auto.

My Xbench results:

2.66 GHz core 2 duo

Not overclocked

CPU: 106.21

RAM: 190.58

Total: 167.63

Over clocked to 3.19 GHz

CPU: 162.72

RAM: 237.94

Disk: 85.84

Total: 201.85

Overclocked to 3.19 GHz without disk test

CPU: 165.22

RAM: 226.33

Total: 263.81

I got 10.5 installed and upgraded to 10.5.1. When I do about this mac, it says the processor is 4 GHz. When I run an applescript that shows the cpu speed, it reports the correct speed.

edit:

Restart and Shutdown aren't working, but sleep is.

I get better Xbench scores under 10.5.1 than 10.4.9, even with the cpu clocked lower.

What is the max temperature for E6750 processor?

I got 10.5 installed and upgraded to 10.5.1. When I do about this mac, it says the processor is 4 GHz. When I run an applescript that shows the cpu speed, it reports the correct speed.

edit:

Restart and Shutdown aren't working, but sleep is.

I get better Xbench scores under 10.5.1 than 10.4.9, even with the cpu clocked lower.

What is the max temperature for E6750 processor?

cool about the cpu clock speed being reported wrong. Actually no, thats weird. Mine detected it fine. Do you think you could take a picture of the bios screen that shows all the overclocking settings? that might shed some light...

I read that you should not keep it at above 70°C for a sustained amount of time. 80°C is probably ok once in a while, but its bad for longevity .... try a google search, there is a lot of info out ther, most of which I ignored.

Max temp for E6750 (Tjunction) this is one forum topic on the matter....

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I got restart, sleep, and shutdown working perfectly in 10.5 with this fix that I found in this thread.

I gave up on overclocking for now. The CPU was getting too hot and I wasn't seeing much speed increase in the most processor intensive task that I do regularly, converting AVIs to DVDs.

Even without being overclocked about this mac shows 4 GHz. Temperature Monitor system information says:

"Internal clock Rate: 2.666 GHz

Maximum Clock Rate: 4GHz"