I think i'm ready for my first hackintosh build...

fcwilli

8 posts in this topic

So i've been checking out this site for some time just to get a grip on what is required before I posted, but I still have some basic questions.

I bought a G5 case on ebay that I want to use for my build. I have a ton of PC parts that I can use to create a suitable cantidate for this project.

From the way I understand it, I need to download a "hacked" version of the Leopard installation DVD. I have a retail copy, but I understand that this won't work. Since all of my stuff is AMD, I realize that I will need the AMD version of the installation DVD. Where i'm lost is the next step. 1)Once I have the DVD burned, what do I do next? Is it just as simple as popping it into the DVD drive and booting the computer via the DVD?

2) What are these brazil and vanilla programs that everyone talks about and what are they used for?

3) What are .kext files and what are they used for?

1) this is your personal challenge ;-)

just look around in this forum, there are a lot of ways to get your machine running, there´s no final best way to get it done. read, learn and decide which way you´ll try. have a look at the hardware, other users got running, choose the best hardware setup you can find in your tons of stuff, and try try try. :-)

2) "vanilla" means "original". osx86 installations based on modifications of the original kernel and software. this is about to change, since pc_efi is evolved. pc-efi emulates apples EFI (wikipedia! :-) which means, your pc emulates a real mac. this makes it possible to run the original "vanilla" kernel. there are a lot of advantages to that: you can use the software update, kernel based software such as virtualization tools (vmware, parallels...) will propably run better, and and and.

3) kext-files are kernel modules and drivers.

2) "vanilla" means "original". osx86 installations based on modifications of the original kernel and software. this is about to change, since pc_efi is evolved. pc-efi emulates apples EFI (wikipedia! :-) which means, your pc emulates a real mac. this makes it possible to run the original "vanilla" kernel. there are a lot of advantages to that: you can use the software update, kernel based software such as virtualization tools (vmware, parallels...) will propably run better, and and and.

You still need to patch updates with AMD cpu's thay wont work with vanilla kernel's and some kext's

only advantage is a faster boot time and shows as Mac Pro in the profiler About This Mac still shows Unknown for processor Oh and it gives a serial number.

Downloanding now...thanks, guys!!!

update 1: just a question: is this running on SATA HDD?

some people have it running on sata depending on your hardware why not patch your own dvd from your retail version ?

take a look at this http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2135 good luck

some people have it running on sata depending on your hardware why not patch your own dvd from your retail version ?

take a look at this http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2135 good luck

Thanks, MacDaddyIRC!

I'll try to the AMD modified version...

Heya, I was just wondering how you were planning on mounting the board with the G5 case? Getting mounting pins in won't be a problem, but the backplate doesn't come close to matching up on a tandard PC ATX board. Were you going to rewire your backplate somehow?

I'm just curious as I was thinking of doing this myself.

I know what you mean. My thought was to cut out the entire rectangle with the holes for the ports on it. Then, I am going to make another plate, slightly bigger, that I can JB Weld to the inside of the case. I will cut out the appropriate holes on the new plate.