D620 Broadcom - 2 very good networking questions

scsi050

7 posts in this topic

I finally got my latitude to detect my broadcom wired nic (had to use 1600 as the id), but now it gives me the all Zeros for the MAC. Easy fix, but my first questions is:

1) but how would I go about finding what my MAC is? Obviously ifconfig doesn't say it, doesn't say it in the bios, dosn't say it on the bottom of the laptop.

second questions:

2)Wireless works great, but doesn't automatically connect to my wireless router after a reboot. It is in the list of preferred networks, but it doesn't automatically connect to it. I think it is because I am not broadcasting my ssid.

Any comments would be helpful.

Are you dual-booting with Windows? The easiest way would be to get back on Windows and write down the MAC address. Or alternatively you don't even need your own MAC address. Just type in sudo ifconfig en0 ether _makeyourownMAC_. ex> 00:08:74:4C:7F:1D. If it's anything like my laptop, it won't save the MAC address, forcing me to re-type my MAC every time i restart

no, i'm not dual booting, or I would've done, that. I tried booting do my damn small linux cd, but it wouldn't load this nic. So I can use any mac addr eh?. I'll just probably write a script to change the mac and then put it in my "startup"

tried putting in a mac and get "ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Network is down" what does that mean?

I am getting rhe same responce with my Dell D820. Let me know if you find a solution. I am going back to Tiger (even though I got the sound working in Leo), as without networking of any kind the OS is pretty much worthless.

A.

• 5 weeks later...