Can EFI v6 slow your CPU down?

rawmassen

10 posts in this topic

I ran three tests, twice. First set before 'upgrade', second set straight after (and a reboot of course).The graphical results (which I was testing) were pretty much identical, then I noticed a huge difference in the thread computations...

EFI v5.2: boot_v5 with mac.nubs NVinject installed

Thread Test 298.43

Computation 361.88 7.33 Mops/sec, 4 threads

EFI v6: boot_gf8800GTS640 without additional kexts

Thread Test 235.22

Computation 218.20 4.42 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Can't say I expected that - a significant computational drop (a massive 60%!). Is it possible that the combination of NVinject.kext, natit.kext and EFI v5.2 can effect processor performance? I know very little about OS X's underpinnings but my guess would be that it wouldn't. Can't argue with the results though.

It's worth mentioning in both sets of tests no other apps were running, and no other drivers were changed.Will revert back to the previous setup tomorrow and re-run the tests. I'll be rather bemused if the figures don't pop back up again.

Update: Random, back on 5.2 with NVinject:

Thread Test 288.33

Computation 379.67 7.69 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Although I must mention, the very first run yielded similar results to the EFI v6. Could this be just randomness from OSX86 and xbench?

Update 2: Back on native EFI v6 and ran many different thread tests.

Managed to get this:

Thread Test 328.85

Computation 412.64 8.36 Mops/sec, 4 threads

So it appears it's rather random!

One thing I have noticed, in my System Profiler under Graphics, I no longer have the 'Rotation' attribute listed under Quartz Extreme. Any ideas what that is? Was definately present with 5.2 and NVinject.

Who told you that?

Read it on Netkas's site - mentioned to get GUID you need to blat the drive. Are there really any benefits of v7/8 over 6 though? Noticeable benefits that is, being able to repartition on the fly is something I've not needed in 15 years of computing :P

Read it on Netkas's site - mentioned to get GUID you need to blat the drive. Are there really any benefits of v7/8 over 6 though? Noticeable benefits that is, being able to repartition on the fly is something I've not needed in 15 years of computing :unsure:

You must have missed the part where it says boot_v8 is universal - meaning it works with MBR partition tables too... :rolleyes:

Changes since 7.4

now it supports both mbr and gpt(guid) partition tables (also Apple

Partition Map)