Few problems with Leopard install on Abit IP35 (non pro)

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Been reading these forums for a long time and finally managed to install OSX on my PC but have a few problems now and could do with a hand.

I am running an IP35 Abit board, Cored duo 2, Nvidia 8800GTS

Install is on IDE drive while my main vista install is on SATA

OSX boots up OK but I am missing Ethernet, Audio and DVD drive at the moment

The audio and DVD I can work on myself but I am stumped on the Ethernet currently.

The Ethernet Controller is listed as Generic Marvell Yukon (onboard) in Vista and Sisoft Sandra and I can't find any info on exactly which chip it is.

OSX does not seem to see the controller in About my Mac and I have tried a couple of kewts I found on this board but none of them works.

Has anyone else managed to get it going with this motherboard and could you give me any pointers?

thanks

Ok I can add some more info

Marvell Controller is the 88E8056 and the Leopard install is 9a581.

I've tried editing Kexts as listed in a number of other threads here but no luck up until now.

If anyone has managed to get this going and could give me some pointers that would be great.

It was a bit tricky to get working from what I remember. I believe I installed the Yukon "driver" from my XxX 10.4.10 install, edited the kext for the correct dev ids and removed the AppleYukon2.kext and all was well.

Not much more I can remember as my IP35 was a total lemon and I am replacing it tonight since my new motherboard showed up.

Ok I can add some more info

Marvell Controller is the 88E8056 and the Leopard install is 9a581.

I've tried editing Kexts as listed in a number of other threads here but no luck up until now.

If anyone has managed to get this going and could give me some pointers that would be great.

what's the Dev ID and Sub ID of your 88E8056?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an Abit IP-35 pro board and what I have seen from other posts I should be able to get this working on Kalway, but there is one issue I have " Nvida 8800 GT". I am waiting for the 10.5.2 update for the support of these graphic cards.

Is it possible schaez you can post your mother board settings ?

The IP35-E doesn't let you change the SATA to AHCI mode. It only does IDE mode. Other than memory timings I haven't changed much in the settings. Is there a particular setting you are interested in? I did get the flat image to work previously, but I had to replace my Nvidia 8600 GT with the ATI x1950 Pro. I haven't tried the Nvidia 8600 GT with Kalyway though.

I was just interested in any changes I may need to make on the mother board I.E SATA to AHCI mode and any other related settings I have seen post were others have changed cpu voltage's and other tweaks to get going. After reading all the different posts it knda gets confusing

bobajobbob, here's what I did for my IP35-E to get the network card working when I had the flat image installed.

Open a terminal.

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworking.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

scroll down to <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and change to <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>

also change <string>0x436211ab</string> to <string>0x436411ab</string>

save and exit

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

reboot

goto to System Preferences > Network Select Ethernet

on the left Change to manual; click apply

Change to Using DHCP; click apply

I was just interested in any changes I may need to make on the mother board I.E SATA to AHCI mode and any other related settings I have seen post were others have changed cpu voltage's and other tweaks to get going. After reading all the different posts it knda gets confusing
The one thing that I can't do is boot straight from dvd to install (SATA DVD-ROM). This may be due to not being able to set SATA to AHCI on the IP35-E. I had to take a round about way to installing Kalyway. I first installed the flat image and created a second partition on a IDE hard drive. Once I booted up into the flat image install I then converted the Kalyway iso to a dmg file which I restored to the second partition I had created. On reboot the second partition showed up in the Darwin boot loader and I booted with "vanilla -x" option. I couldn't boot w/o using the vanilla kernel. Once the install setup once up I used Disk Utility to format a second IDE hard drive (SATA probably would work w/ Kalyway) w/ a GUID partion scheme and installed. On the first boot w/ -x option the registration information form would freeze on me, but I was able to skip it using "windows key + Q". Once I installed the ATI driver for my x1950 I was able to boot without the -x option.Hopefully there is an easier way to install than what I did, but it worked.