Bootup failure with ToH RC2 installation

filburt1

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install the ToH RC2 version of OSx86 10.5.0 on my Dell XPS M1210 (Core Duo, SATA hard drive). The procedure I used:

1. Boot off the DVD
  2. Partition the drive as one large HFS+ Journaled partition named "Leopard" (the drive is disk0, the partition is disk0s1)
  3. Run the installer, unchecking everything under the Customize section
  4. Boot back into the DVD
  5. Go to the Terminal, switch to /usr/misc, and run ./script.sh
  6. Boot back to the hard drive

It gets to the Apple logo on a gray screen with a (very slowly) spinning animation, and then just reboots with no message. When I boot in verbose mode (-v), it gets as far as "BSD Root: disk0s1..." with no other messages following it, waiting there for about 15 seconds before rebooting.

I am not trying to dual-boot, just getting OSx86 running.

Any thoughts?

Check your SATA configuration in bios, make sure it is AHCI mode.

Because it's a Dell and also a laptop, it doesn't have any SATA settings in the BIOS except for "Device Initiated Interface PM (DIPM)", which is off by default and currently off.

(unless there's some backdoor into a much more configurable BIOS, which would be great)

The solution might be more simple.

Way back when I started installing OXS86 10.4.9 on my Acer Aspire laptop, my SATA drives are never recognized without patching.

2 ways that I have done it:

I use an old OSX86 install on a USB stick. I have XxX 10.4.10 on a 4GB USB stick, but you can use an other version that fits under the 4GB. I simply boot into the USB drive to postpatch the install on the SATA drive. I edit the info.plist in AppleAHCIport.kext on the 4GB usb drive first so it can recognize my SATA drive, then when my SATA drive is seen, I do the same edit on the SATA drive.

OR:

Another thing I used to do is put my SATA drive into a USB drive enclosure, edit an info.plist, then put back the SATA drive back in the laptop.

Modification that needs to be done: I have an ICH7M serial ATA controller device id 0x27c68086. I go in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIport.kext/Contents/info.plist.

I simply add my device id 0x27c68086 in the IOPCIMatch under ICH7M.

So you need to know if you have ICH6M, ICH7M or ICH8M and you add your device id under the corresponding section in that info.plist

Put your SATA drive in the USB drive enclosure, install ToH, than you edit AppleAHCIport.kext, delete the caches reboot back in the USB drive, now your SATA drive should be visible.

When you know your SATA drive is visible, you can put back your SATA drive in your laptop and it should work.

So those are the 2 ways that I have done the AppleAHCIPort.kext edit. You might find another way.

If you have ICH8M, and use the usb stick method, then I recommend using 10.4.10 with the USB stick method, since I don't think 10.4.9 has a ICH8M section in the info.plist

Be advised that OSX86 on a USB stick runs very slowly, but it is a method that works

Good Luck

Using a Mac in the office running 10.4.10, I copied /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIport.kext to a USB flash drive, edited it in vim to add a section for an ICH7M controller (I believe I have the same one), tried kextcache -v -u /Volumes/Leopard for fun, and rebooted. Same issue...I probably broke it more. It's a laptop hard drive and I don't have a SATA enclosure nor any Mac that supports SATA; the only one I have is a G4 Cube circa 2001.

It's giving the error: "Unknown SIGFPE code 1" right before it reboots sometimes. Is there any kernel option for startup that tells it to not reboot on panic and to be as verbose as possible about any panic that occurs?

I'm thinking when I get home later tonight that I'll do what some other guides recommend: install 10.4.10 first and then run an upgrade for 10.5.0.

Actually, there is no ICH7M section to add in the info.plist of AppleAHCIPort.kext.

The ICH7MAHCI section is already there. Look in the IOPCIMatch, you will see 0x27c58086. That's what you want to overwrite with your device id, or leave a space and add your device id next to it. Then remove the caches and reboot and your sata drive will be recognized in your laptop.

Your device id is not necessarily the same as mine. There is 0x27c38086, 0x27c48086 and others that I have seen already. You have to know your exact device id.

First, make sure that leopard has the device id for your SATA controller, otherwise your SATA drive will never be seen.

to find out your SATA Controller device id:

1. In windows XP or Vista, right click My computer

2. Select manage from the menu

3. That opens a window, now on the left side pane you will see device manager. Click on device manager

4. On the right side pane, click on the + next to storage controllers

5. You should see an entry that says Intel SATA Controller or something like that

6. Right click on that SATA Controller entry and select Properties from the menu

7. The properties window appears, click on the details tab

8. Almost done. Now select Hardware-IDs from the down arrow menu

You will see something for example like PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6. In that case your device id is 0x27c68086 but use your numbers and that's what needs to be present in the AppleAHCIport.kext

OSX86 was never booting past the first few lines on my laptop, until I figured that OSX86 did not have my SATA Controller id in AppleAHCIPort.kext