10.4.10 on HP NC6000

DylJones

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

As you may eb able to tell, I'm new here ;)

I'm also relatively new to OS X (less than a year of light use) and VERY new to hackintosh

On the flip side I'm an IT engineer so I do have a good understanding of 'stuff'

Ok, I have a HP NC6000 and I want OS X on it. I don't care which version, I just need OS X, iLife (which I have) and working ethernet (and preferably wireless but as long as I have some connection I'm not bothered).

I have tried LOTS of times to install OS X. I have 10.4.10 by mac.nub installed. I also have Brasilmac 10.5 and Jas 10.4.8, neither of which I can even boot from.

I successfully installed mac.nub 10.4.10 several times but when i rebooted i got the gray loading screen and it just stopped. I did finally manage to boot in twice. Once at first restart (got the license details, put name in, etc) and then rebooted and got into OS X fine. After shutting it down and restarting the next day i got the gray screen hang again.

I've hit F8 at the Darwin prompt and booted with -v -s switches and got a sort of dump screen. Assuming this is the loading process it should only be the last one that should show the error, right?

the last line is:

BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1

at this point the HDD light stops flashing and it just stops doing anything.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Any thoughs would be really appreciated.

Dyl

So can anyone help me out with this please?

Do I need to supply more info?

I believe i can get ethernet and wireless working from the links on this page: NC6000

But I still have the bootup issue. I've searched but I guess I'm searching the wrong phrases.

Thanks for your time!

Dyl

Ok, i worked out why it wasn't booting. Feel a bit silly but it's still not right and not something I'd have thought of.

For some reason I assumed that OSx would recognise that it's installed on a portable device (i.e. a laptop). It doesn't. There's no power management, battery meter, etc.

I assume that it also assumes that since there's no active power input that it can't boot.

Simply put, if it's plugged into the mains, it boots fine. If not, it hangs at the loading screen. Odd but true.

Hi there,

I have also a nc6000 , can you please advice which options did you choose on the install of the version of osx86 which worked ?.

On mine I can install the JAS 10.4.8 and it boots but using any other it doesn't , so I guess I am doing something wrong here.

Thank you.

Ok, i worked out why it wasn't booting. Feel a bit silly but it's still not right and not something I'd have thought of.

For some reason I assumed that OSx would recognise that it's installed on a portable device (i.e. a laptop). It doesn't. There's no power management, battery meter, etc.

I assume that it also assumes that since there's no active power input that it can't boot.

Simply put, if it's plugged into the mains, it boots fine. If not, it hangs at the loading screen. Odd but true.

• 5 months later...

To fix this problem of only booting in AC not battery. Go into the BIOS and turn off speed step to "DISABLED" and the system will boot fine in battery The Bios tries to lower the cpu while the os tries to max it and thus the hang.