OS X Safe Sleep and Windows Hibernation with Boot Camp

smc90

3 posts in this topic

I am looking at buying an Intel Mac in the next few years. I would mainly use it for multimedia, gaming and college work. I would install Windows XP or Vista for sure, to ensure that I had full compatibility with whatever came along. I would use Parallels but its graphics support is very limited. I know about Boot Camp and the only problem is that you have to reboot every single time you want to switch OS's. Apple touted a new feature about faster restarts into Windows and OS X on their web site, but then later removed it.My question is, is this feature that was on Apples web site, now in Leopard (since people have bought it now)? If not, would it be possible (knowing that OS X can use safe sleep and Windows can use hibernation mode) to use safe sleep and hibernation for faster restarts with Boot Camp?Example: I am using OS X and want to play a game on XP/Vista. I put my OS X partition to sleep using "safe sleep" and boot into Windows to play the game. Then when I am done, I want to get back into OS X with my data intact. If I put Windows XP/Vista into hibernation mode, would OS X reboot from safe sleep, and vice versa? Help is greatly appreciated!

In the next few years? SO much can happen in that time frame. It you were looking to purchase within the next few weeks (or months) then yes, I would be looking for my options but within the next few years???

Also keep in mind, when using Boot Camp, it is a dual boot situation; you can use one operating system or the other. You will not be able to put one to sleep whilst running another. If you want to use both, at the same time, you need to use a virtual machine such as Parallels.

• 2 years later...
In the next few years? SO much can happen in that time frame. It you were looking to purchase within the next few weeks (or months) then yes, I would be looking for my options but within the next few years???

Also keep in mind, when using Boot Camp, it is a dual boot situation; you can use one operating system or the other. You will not be able to put one to sleep whilst running another. If you want to use both, at the same time, you need to use a virtual machine such as Parallels.

In OSX, safe sleep is the same as hibernation, so it is theoretically possible to do what he's asking, although I haven't yet found a way to do it.

If anyone does know, it would be pretty awesome to get this to work.