Leopard broke after reboot - PLEASE READ

qbattersby

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

So this is what happened, I had installed BrazilMac's Leo, I got everything working great, and it ran great for about 3 weeks until yesterday. Check my sig for machine details.

So I has having some issues with Mail yesterday, kinda got chunky and wouldnt attach file. So I reboot, after reboot, I receive error,

com.apple.Boot.plist not found, I booted to install dvd and went into Terminal and the plist was still in the same place as it always has been, so I'm not sure what the issue was.

Actually at first I got the flashing cursor, so I was like what the hell, I booted with install disc, let it timeout and it gave me the error above. Has anyone had this issue?

Unfortunatley I had to go back to Tiger as I am just finishing the semester at school and needed a stable system to work with and I didnt have the time to get Leopard back up and running. Any suggestions would be great on how to address this issue if it occurs again.

Please help, sadly distrot about running Tiger after my lovely Leopard experience, I considered using Time Machine but was unsure if it would accomplish the result I was looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Hey thanks for the reply, I had to go back to uphucks 10.4.9 though, didnt want to risk losing any data so I backed up what I could and formatted and reinstalled, I needed stuff for projects, really only a few things as I backup most to a external drive. Just didnt have the time to get it all up and going again. End of the semester at school and needed the machine to finish projects. Now I seem to be having a problem which I havent had before when I ran uphuck, randomly I get the greyed out screen while using the machine telling me I have to restart. Perhaps someone has heard of this and knows a solution, I thought it might be java at first crashing as the only thing I had different was Azureus, but I removed that and the problem still occured, it happens at random times too. So I thought heck might be CPU being to hot, but I have played around with settings and read up on my cpu (e6320) and it says max temp is like 61 degrees it usually sits around 40-42 and under max load (exporting/rendering video) gets up to about 58. Not sure what my issue is here, everything worked fine before. The only other thing could be my new vid card, look in the sig, before I was using a 7300LE but couldnt get it working with dual displays. Any help would be stellar!

You should run "repair permissions" from Disc Utility on the boot cd.

If after that you still have this issue, download TechTool or some utility that will check you ram, "random" usually means bad ram.

Alternately, try creating another User Account and see if that account has the same issue.

If none of those work you likely have a slowly dying mobo or a loose connection somewhere in your machine.

make sure that it is trying to boot the right partition. It did that once on mine, and it turned out that it was trying to boot another partition. If you hit F8 at boot to go into boot options, you should get a choice of what partition/volumes to boot.

do you have efi? what hardware?

At this point it sounds like you are going to be doing a fresh install anyway, right? So, that in mind, just make sure you repair the permissions after your next install (which for you should go smoothly right over Tiger). My guess would be a corrupt boot sector FWIW. I'm a Unix Admin, I see oddball stuff all the time :)

Thanks for the insight, I am not booting to the wrong partition as this is the only OS on the machine and it boots to that drive. As for the corrupt boot sector, that seems feasible. As for repairing permissions in Tiger, that is an impossibility as it uses a different method for Leopard and Tiger. I have already reinstalled and everything is back to normal.

social swimmer> perhaps you should read my signature for hardware or perhaps you should turn that option on to view them.