New To Hackintosh Creation

Harloe

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, just regged today. Only been on here a couple times so decided to register. Here's my story.

I am a computer student on a VERY {censored} course, it doesn't offer me the type of teaching that will help me learn more about building/repairing/upgrading computers, let alone Macs! So I'm taking this into my own hands!

My original thought was to get a Powermac G5, a base unit so I can upgrade it but I was told I can't run an MMORPG called RF Online on a PowerPC processor, I'd need Intel, can anyone tell me if this is true?

So my friend recommended me building a Hackintosh, I admit it'd be a golden opportunity to build a Mac from scratch but I'd sorta miss the authenticity of it actually BEING a Mac. But I think I could settle for a Hackintosh if... I could store all the components in a Powermac G5 case. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Someone said I might have a problem getting a general motherboard in there..

Hope someone can help me out here =] I'd be really greatful

Hey guys, just regged today. Only been on here a couple times so decided to register. Here's my story.I am a computer student on a VERY {censored} course, it doesn't offer me the type of teaching that will help me learn more about building/repairing/upgrading computers, let alone Macs! So I'm taking this into my own hands!My original thought was to get a Powermac G5, a base unit so I can upgrade it but I was told I can't run an MMORPG called RF Online on a PowerPC processor, I'd need Intel, can anyone tell me if this is true?So my friend recommended me building a Hackintosh, I admit it'd be a golden opportunity to build a Mac from scratch but I'd sorta miss the authenticity of it actually BEING a Mac. But I think I could settle for a Hackintosh if... I could store all the components in a Powermac G5 case. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Someone said I might have a problem getting a general motherboard in there..Hope someone can help me out here =] I'd be really greatful

Hi Kemmi:According to RF Online's Wiki, the system requirements state that you need Windows. You can either get an Intel Mac and install Boot Camp -or- get a Windows PC and then install OSx86.

RF Online's System Requirements

In terms of getting OSx86 Hardware on G5 Case, someone has done this and posted on YouTube.

Building an OSx86 Box ("Hackintosh") is a great way to learn about Mac OS X. The main issues seem to be getting everything to work properly -and- getting updates to work (need to be patched)

Good luck!

--danyel :(

Hey Danyel! Thanks for the reply! I do have an Intel Mac, a MacBook Pro. But I don't really wanna put Windows on this!

I do love my MBP but I miss a desktop computer! And I think if I can just get one to make pretty cheap I'd be really happy! And it'd help me learn.

Once again thanks for the reply and I'll take a look at the G5 Hackintosh now! =D Are Hackintosh's really good machines? I was planning on calling mine the Powerhack G5 lol probably already an existing name though!

Hey Danyel! Thanks for the reply! I do have an Intel Mac, a MacBook Pro. But I don't really wanna put Windows on this!

I do love my MBP but I miss a desktop computer! And I think if I can just get one to make pretty cheap I'd be really happy! And it'd help me learn.

Once again thanks for the reply and I'll take a look at the G5 Hackintosh now! =D Are Hackintosh's really good machines? I was planning on calling mine the Powerhack G5 lol probably already an existing name though!

Hi Kemmi:

Building an OSx86 Box ("Hackintosh") may be one way to truly appreciate your REAL MacBook Pro (Apple's Slogan = It Just Works).

I have been running my OSx86 mPC for over one and half years since I custom-built the box (based on specs from OSx86 Project's Hardware Wiki). If you can match Apple's Specs for given machine (example: Mac Mini) you can have *fairly* compatible machine.

So far, I'm *very* happy with my OSx86 mPC that supports almost everything out-of-the-box including: Sound, Graphics (full CI/QE Support), Networking and Wireless. I added NetGear WG311T PCI Card that was recognized natively as Airport. I was able to add Front Row Software and Griffin's AirClick USB as Remote. I also added Logitech QuickCam Chat with Macam Driver for iChat, CamFrog and other chat programs.

According to XBench, my OSx86 PC tracks *very* similar to MacMini Core Solo (strangely enough).

Good luck with building your OSx86 Box! I'm sure it will be "stunning" in its G5 Case.

--danyel :P

Thanks Danyel!

It's nice to receive alot of information upon my first posts here so thanks =D

When you say *fairly* compatible, what sort of programs will not work on an OSx86 machine? Oh and if I can build it within a G5 case I'll have to get one of the old classic Apple Displays just to add to it's sexyness =P

I'll keep this thread incase I need anymore help from people and to update on where I am at with aqiuring parts =] I'm hoping to be able to get a Quad Core processor from Intel in this thing, so that should be cool =D And if I never really use it much I can always sell it on =D

Thanks Danyel!

It's nice to receive alot of information upon my first posts here so thanks =D

When you say *fairly* compatible, what sort of programs will not work on an OSx86 machine? Oh and if I can build it within a G5 case I'll have to get one of the old classic Apple Displays just to add to it's sexyness =P

I'll keep this thread incase I need anymore help from people and to update on where I am at with aqiuring parts =] I'm hoping to be able to get a Quad Core processor from Intel in this thing, so that should be cool =D And if I never really use it much I can always sell it on =D

Hi Kemmi:

I think what I meant to say is *very* compatible but *fairly* bug-free.

In terms of Compatibility: I've been able to run every program from PowerPC and Universal that is written for Mac OS X with the exception of updated programs that need 10.4.10 (like iTunes 7.5). I'm still stuck on Myzar's 10.4.6 and subsequent attempts to clean install or upgrade to later versions have been unsuccessful so far.

In terms of Bug-Free system: My system has been fairly bug-free except a few minor annoyances. On my Widgets, the "flipping" effect has stopped although other Core Image and Quartz Extreme effects work fine (like Water Ripple Effect and Cube Effect). On my Wireless, I occasionally get disconnected (Airport turns off) after some time of inactivity. From talking to some "real" Mac Owners, they sometimes complain of their same thing happening with their Airports (strangely enough).

A G5 Case with old Apple Cinema Display would rock! Not only would it look nice, but it would most likely perform better than the actual G5 Towers.

On my OSx86, I went for small and cheap but offering some limited expansion and quiet operation (similar to Mac Mini).

--danyel :thumbsup_anim:

Ah I see what you mean now, I was a little worried about it being a {censored} to set-up with a lot of problems, but I suppose I can handle a few issues that may arise! I have some old computer parts that I could sell on to help build this machine. I am currently in the process of claiming money back on an expensive guitar I no longer play, so that money will buy me my synthesizer (i'm an audiophile, lol) and then maybe some more parts! I think it'd be a worthwhile project to help me learn more about the physical side of computers!

Stupid course not doing practical work, liars! LIARS!

Once again thanks for your help and do you have any pictures of your OSx86 Mac Mini-esque machine? I'd love to see! Oh and a general question, how long have you been putting computers together for? =]

Ah I see what you mean now, I was a little worried about it being a {censored} to set-up with a lot of problems, but I suppose I can handle a few issues that may arise! I have some old computer parts that I could sell on to help build this machine. I am currently in the process of claiming money back on an expensive guitar I no longer play, so that money will buy me my synthesizer (i'm an audiophile, lol) and then maybe some more parts! I think it'd be a worthwhile project to help me learn more about the physical side of computers!

Stupid course not doing practical work, liars! LIARS!

Once again thanks for your help and do you have any pictures of your OSx86 Mac Mini-esque machine? I'd love to see! Oh and a general question, how long have you been putting computers together for? =]

Hi Kemmi:

About the biggest annoyance is one that I experienced today: I left my OSx86 PC on and connected, but this morning, it decided to disconnect itself from the Wireless network (hence I cannot access any more).

When I get home, I'm going to try moving the Router closer to the PC and having it directly connected via Ethernet.

Sure, I'm always happy to share (!) I'll attach picture of my OSx86 PC. I've been building PC's for quite some time (maybe since Windows 95 and Mac OS 9). I think it's great that we have the opportunity to build an OSx86 PC. I boot into Mac OS X most of the time, but boot into Windows for work and various games (like Team Fortress 2). It's like having the best of both worlds.

By the way, it's interesting that you mention playing the Guitar. I just picked up an Acoustic few months ago. Someone made a post of his/her hobbies that included the Guitar.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74009

--danyel :P

post-22445-1196458035_thumb.jpg

That is a SWEET set up you have there, I really like the case you have, very Apple-esque! =D

A quick question, do you need to download the Frontrow Software or does it come already part of the package with the OSx86 installation?

Really do love that set-up =D Oh and do you boot into Windows using a program like Bootcamp or Parallels?

That is a SWEET set up you have there, I really like the case you have, very Apple-esque! =D

A quick question, do you need to download the Frontrow Software or does it come already part of the package with the OSx86 installation?

Really do love that set-up =D Oh and do you boot into Windows using a program like Bootcamp or Parallels?

Hi Kemmi:

Thanks so much. That is one of the reasons why I chose the case for my OSx86 PC (looks like the PC cousin of Mac Mini -- lol).

Apple's Front Row did not come with my distribution of OSx86 (Myzar 10.4.6) but I downloaded a version where I had to install the package using Pacifist and then modify FrontRowPass.kext. There's a new version that allows you to just install without having to make modifications. The package is called "frontrow-hacked.pkg.zip" or something like that.

I installed Mac OS X using the DVD-ROM. During the installation process, I partitioned my drive into two partitions (Mac OS Extended and FAT32 for Windows). Then I installed Mac OS X onto the Mac OS Extended partition. Once I got Mac OS X up and running, I installed Windows XP SP2 onto the other partition. Now I just use Darwin's Boot Menu to choose between Mac OS X and Windows (I have OS X as default OS).

Good luck with your G5-Cased OSx86. Please send pictures when you get it up and running. :D

--danyel :)

Wow, I think I'll stick with Parallels, lol. And I will definately post pics and videos. I have my own YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/echoaudio

It's not brilliant but I post some Mac vids there =D

Hi Kemmi:

Thanks for the link to your YouTube page. I'll be sure to check this out.

How is the performance of Parallels? When I need to boot into Windows, I just go native... lol.

--danyel :)

Parallels is meant to be a really good and trustworthy piece of software! =] I think I'll just use Parallels when I build this. Do you know of any graphics cards that do DVI connections? because that is what I will need if I want an old Apple Display!

Also do you still get the BONG that Macs make?