How to move the system from Intel to AMD?

macbrush

4 posts in this topic

I am currently running 10.4.9 on an IBM Thinkcentre running on a P4 3Ghz, and a friend has gave me a nVidia MB with an AMD Athlon 64 X 2 4200. So I will be upgrading the MB and CPU.

I understand that kernel must be replaced by a kernel compiled for AMD CPU. But how many more stuffs in the system must be replaced by tweaked AMD version? Is there anything else I need to install/remove/replace? Is there a clear list of things I must do in order to do the switch? Or maybe a fresh installation is the only option?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I did this once, but it's ticklish.. (and I don't recall exactly which version I used) essentially, I applied all the AMD patches to the installed OS, shut down, rebuilt the machine & the booted up. It's ticklish because it's a one-shot, one-way procedure, and if it goes wrong you've got quite the mess to contend with..

A far safer solution is to use a fresh harddrive or partition, install your amd-compatible version & then use the migration tool to transfer all your files & settings from the drive with your existing intel-compatible install.

Thanks, I think I would probably do a fresh install on a seperate partition, and go from there. I would also buy a new case, and move ram, HD and other things from the old system, that way, it would be much easier than swap out MB in case I have to roll back.

If anyone can tell me exactly what's the difference between an AMD and Intel installation, I could probably also try patching the existing system once i got the new system going, and hopefully no need to reinstall everything else, and do data migration, which is the main thing I am trying to avoid. Any pointer to find such information would be very appreciated.

Cheers

I have moved to a new box. But transition was not as smooth as I hoped. I finally decided to do a fresh installation, since I am on an AMD box, I choose tubgirl's 10.4.10 release. Now safe mode is the only option for me to boot successfully. I have described the problem in details in another thread, so I won't repeat it here. Please if anyone have any advice or thoughts, let me know. Its a pain in the xxx to be stuck with Windows.

A million thanks in advance

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72877