OSx86 First Timer - Questions (Opteron 165)

foodfightr

9 posts in this topic

I've never attempted to install OSX on my PC in the past. Because M$ has failed to offer me a version I'm happy with- XP or VISTA, I've recently decided to attempt to install OSX Leopard on my PC.

I'm running the following hardware:

AMD Opteron 165

DFI LanParty Ultra-D Motherboard

2x G.Skill 1GB Extreme

NVIDIA Geforce 7950 GT

2x WD Raptor 150GB (Raid 0)

I have the regular leopard disk. Where should I start?

Thanks!

I've never attempted to install OSX on my PC in the past. Because M$ has failed to offer me a version I'm happy with- XP or VISTA, I've recently decided to attempt to install OSX Leopard on my PC.

I'm running the following hardware:

AMD Opteron 165

DFI LanParty Ultra-D Motherboard

2x G.Skill 1GB Extreme

NVIDIA Geforce 7950 GT

2x WD Raptor 150GB (Raid 0)

I have the regular leopard disk. Where should I start?

Thanks!

. . 'RAID0' [what you have is Win-only firmware RAID] will simply not work.

The NF4 chipset is supported; is your Opteron SSE2 or SSE3? [this affects which kernels you might be able to use]

There are AMD-specific DVDs - for Tiger you might want to search for threads talking about 'Uphuck 1.4a' & the various 'Tubgirl' releases.

. . 'RAID0' [what you have is Win-only firmware RAID] will simply not work.

The NF4 chipset is supported; is your Opteron SSE2 or SSE3? [this affects which kernels you might be able to use]

There are AMD-specific DVDs - for Tiger you might want to search for threads talking about 'Uphuck 1.4a' & the various 'Tubgirl' releases.

99% Positive that this opteron supports SSE3. It is socket 939 Opteron 165. I'd like to use Leopard, not tiger!

99% Positive that this opteron supports SSE3. It is socket 939 Opteron 165. I'd like to use Leopard, not tiger!
. . unless you are experienced at hacking; suggest you wait for a Leo DVD that explicitly supports your hardware. At least one of the upcoming 'iATKOS' DVD(s) from the Uphuck team apparently will feature AMD support.

Yeah, I took a look at that thread. Is there a way to do it without needing Tiger installed?

Also I was hoping someone would be able to link me to a newbie faq/tutorial that explained what all the different acronyms were and what they did, etc. Like what PC_EFI does and what uphuck is, etc...

Obviously, I'm making some progress just reading various posts and decyphering for myself.

Ok, so here is what I'm thinking about doing.

1.) Install OSX Tiger using Tubgirls most recent "test" version. (Is it possible do this without Tiger?)

2.) Follow this tutorial for installing Leopard. (What kexts will I need?)

I believe this is probably my best bet because I already have the Leopard disk. I have a dual layer dvd burner and the appropriate dual layer media.

Also... what is the difference between a dual-layer 7GB install and a single-layer smaller install? What is taken out to account for the file size?