VMware OSX 10.4.8 Jas or TubGirl Black Screen

6 posts in this topic

I am having a hell of a time getting OSX to run on my laptop running VMware workstation 6.0.0 build 45731.

I am able to successfully boot from the JAS or Tubgirl ISO mounted via Deamon Tools, I am able to create my disk in the disk utilities and get the OS installed, then the machines finishes its optimization of the operating system and attempts to reboot. When it reboots I just get a black screen with a solid cursor and thats it. If i hit any keys nothing happens and after a few keystrokes you get the annoying BEEP as if the OS is hung. I have searched and searched and have seen others having this issue however i have yet to find anyone that has a solution.

I have tried setting the OS as both "Other" and "WINnt" and get the same results. My laptop is a IBM Z61M with 2GIG of ram, ATI X1400 video card, 120GB SATA, and Intel Core Duo T7200@2.00GHz.

Can anyone please help so far I have spent 2 days fussing with this thing and other 10Gigs of ISOs from TubGirl, JaS in every version from 10.4.8 - 10.4.10.

Please someone help me out with this.. :.(

-Thanks in advance!

i had the same problem but finally it's solved.. to be honest I don't know the exact solution but i think that the important thing is in the disk utility > partion > you have to choose OPTIONS and choose Master Record Boot! Then you can click on PARTION > PARTION and you can continue.. ;)

• 2 months later...

Having the same black screen problem on my unit trying to install Jas 10.4.8 on VMWare 6.0.0 build 45731.

I'm pretty confident my ISO is good since I'm able to install and run OSX from the same DVD when used solo for OSx.

Followed guide as well. I cant find that Master Record Boot mentioned earlier.

Burned a new DVD, created a new VM and following guide again as I type. Fingers crossed.

Just an update. Apparently, that step in pcwiz's guide about setting partion to 1 partition is critical.

• In the Utilities menu, choose Disk Utility
  • In Disk Utility, choose your VMware hard drive from the left. In the main area, click the Partition tab
  • Set the "Volume Scheme" to one partition
  • Give the partition a name
  • Make sure the format is set to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
  • Make sure all the hard drive space is used
  • Click Partition, Partition

Strange that on some machines, the VMware hackintosh installation goes through even without that. in my other installations, I would just go ahead to Erase and allow Disk utility to create the partition.

Hehe. Serves me right for not following a guru's instructions to the letter. Previous successes made me think I was capable of handling things on my own.

So its SUCCESS for me!!