I don't want CPUS=1

winapenny

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My notebook model is HP Compaq nc2400. The CPU list in Windows XP is named "Intel Core Duo CPU U2500 @ 1.20GHz". Whichever OS distribution I installed (Jas 10.4.8, Uphuck 10.4.9, Brazilmac's 10.5) and whichever kernel version I used, I must use the switch CPUS=1 in order to make it stable.

Is there really no other workaround that I must degrade my hardware to a single-core CPU machine? Anybody have other tricks?

Regards,

Penny

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same notebook (I'm on it now with Winblows xp) and I had sort of the same issues. I was experimenting with the BIOS and found the nc2400 was unstable even if you disable the second core. I was not aware that there was a switch to set the CPUs to 1. I suppose I will try reinstalling the version I have. What version worked best for that machine? I was not able to make the wireless work as it is a unsupported card. The sound worked great (no headphone support??). Otherwise the machine was blazing fast and booted much faster than windows.

Thanks!

For 10.4.10, XxX version works great. leopard also works with BrazilMac's patch. But for any distribution, you must boot with cpus=1.

Yes sound works without input (I haven't test with a headphone), and the Intel wireless is not supported out-of-box. You need to get here to get the driver:

http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

But I can't get it successful.

Regards.

I think that your problem similar to laptops dell 6400/9400 (It is possible to search here at a forum by "dell howto")

And the sense in that that from the special version bios at loading macosx one of kernels goes to a dream that results or in strong braking or kernel panic.

Anyway there are no solution (