No HD found on DG965SS Intel MB

Rato

7 posts in this topic

The Mac OS X installation DVD boots up from the USB DVD drive, I run Disk Utility from the menu on top, and the only devices shown are my USB DVD drive and a SanDisk memory card connected to a Goldship USB card reader.

There are two hard drives connected: a 20GB IDE and a 300GB SATA.

The BIOS offers three options related to the hard disks: legacy, native and AHCI. Tried all three of them and none of the hard disks were detected. I read here in the forums that I would probably have problems with the IDE controller (JMicron), but the SATA hard disk not being detected was an unpleasant surprise.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37319

The image used is ToH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

Motherboard: DG965SS

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DG965SS/index.htm

This machine is currently running Vista, so I don't think there are any hardware problems.

Any suggestions are welcome at this point.

umm.. only way i get my dg965wh to work is to put it in achi mode , enable hpet to.. what dvd drive are you booting from? if usb i had that issue , but when i boot from sata dvd, it found my hdd, usb didnt..

I'm booting from the USB DVD drive. Unfortunately, I don't have a SATA DVD drive.

Someone got another motherboard from Intel that uses the same chipset as mine to work, but he had to add "610111ab & 80862821" into "AppleVIAATA & AppleAHCI in files/ext", as described in the HCL:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.0

DG965OT

I've been looking for ways to do this but so far all tutorials I found require that I already have Mac installed. Any way to do this from Windows or Linux?

I have also downloaded "osx86 Leopard flat image (install mac os x 10.5 from windows)", and installed it on my IDE hard disk. Mac OS X boots up, but stops after still waiting for boot device.

I then copied the 15GB partition that was created above to the SATA hard disk, hoping that Mac OS would be able to boot from the IDE hard disk and then mount its boot partition from the SATA hard disk, but the same error happened.

I'll try PearPC tonight. Will not be as fast, but at least it should work.

i had no problems installing ToH RC2 on DG965WH, i used AHCI mode like Shogunprotege. u modify those kexts post-install to get a faster, more specific driver that communicates w/ your ICH8. but for install purposes the generic AppleAHCIPlatform.kext will recognize your SATA in AHCI mode. its like VESA being a generic graphics mode most video cards support, but to get hardware acceleration on them u gotta install specific drivers.

good luck

i had no problems installing ToH RC2 on DG965WH, i used AHCI mode like Shogunprotege. u modify those kexts post-install to get a faster, more specific driver that communicates w/ your ICH8. but for install purposes the generic AppleAHCIPlatform.kext will recognize your SATA in AHCI mode. its like VESA being a generic graphics mode most video cards support, but to get hardware acceleration on them u gotta install specific drivers.

good luck

I probably have the problem described by Shogunprotege: booting from a USB DVD drive causes SATA hard disks not to be detected. I haven't gotten a SATA DVD drive yet so I can't say whether that's really the problem or not.

I probably have the problem described by Shogunprotege: booting from a USB DVD drive causes SATA hard disks not to be detected. I haven't gotten a SATA DVD drive yet so I can't say whether that's really the problem or not.

Try putting IDE drive in USB enclosure, install to that.

Once you have an install, you might be able to get ICH8 working similiarly to how I got ICH8R.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=511085

Once that works, transfer system to SATA with disk utility