New Leopard patch disc won't boot

iScott

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So I made an image of the actual Leopard install disk and followed all of the instructions given by BrazilMac and the guy from LifeHacker, but the disk will not boot to install. I changed my Bios to start from the DVD drive, the disk spins and then it goes into my Tiger osx86. My specs are as follows:

Dell XPS 400

Pentium D 3.0 Ghz

MoBo ? (what ever Dell decided to use that month)

3 Gigs Memory

160 Gig sata hardrive

Nvidia Gforce 6800 graphics card

OSx86 Tiger 10.4.10 running w/out sound

Has anyone had the same problem as me, if so can you help me out. Any help would be great. :D

Well I tried inserting the disc after booting into Tiger, but a window pops up saying that the disc is unreadable. I tried two different burns and they both say that. I even tried using the real install disc and switching when I restart but it does the same thing(boots to Tiger then window pops up saying disc unreadable). Is there a bootloader that needs to be on the DVD?

I got the disc to boot, I had to reburn a new DVD but when you burn it you have to make it read/write not compressed. It worked and I installed, but after I did the post patch when it boots I get the "you need to restart your computer". Any suggestions? By the way, BrazilMac and LifeHackers instruction are very different when it comes to the patches. BrazilMac says to only put your username in the xxx in the DMG line, but LifeHacker says to put your username in both lines(DMG, APDIR). BrazilMac doesn't say anything about the post-patch needing to be fixed, but LifeHacker tells you to change it to: PATCH="/Volumes/LeopardPatch/leopatch/" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/Leopard" # path to Leopard installation. If you do it the BrazilMac way then at reboot you get "can't find Mach Kernel". If you do it the LifeHacker way then you get the "you need to restart your computer". I am reinstalling it again and going to see if it works. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. By the way this ISO is from the actual install disc not from a torrent. P.S LifeHacker states that he used BrazilMac's guide so I don't know why they are different.