What's the best Intel setup available for Leopard Hackintosh ?

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I've just sold my rarely use macbook pro (15"2.4g) for £1100. I believe this fund allow me to build a pretty decent hackintosh.

Just wondering what's the best setup available within the budget?

I have found out that many good intel chipsets (for example, G33's graphic card) and NV 8xxx Cards are having major issues for 10.5.

If someone is kind enough to come up with a recommanded 100% compatiable setup I'll be very grateful.

Thanks and hav a nice day!

Q6600 + P35 + G80 8800GTS 640MB + 20" LCD ought to be doable within that budget... Although now they're known to work in OS X, a 2900XT might be a better choice if you can stand the power consumption, since they're much faster with OS X's drivers. Might be worth waiting to see if Radeon HD 3870 works, because apparently, there are references to RV670 in the driver...

Some P35 boards have issues (MSI?) but others are OK (Gigabyte/Asus?) - just make sure you get one with ICH9-R.

Q6600 + P35 + G80 8800GTS 640MB + 20" LCD ought to be doable within that budget... Although now they're known to work in OS X, a 2900XT might be a better choice if you can stand the power consumption, since they're much faster with OS X's drivers. Might be worth waiting to see if Radeon HD 3870 works, because apparently, there are references to RV670 in the driver...

Some P35 boards have issues (MSI?) but others are OK (Gigabyte/Asus?) - just make sure you get one with ICH9-R.

Hi forgot to mention I have already got a DELL 2407FWP so the budget is for the machine only.

Is P35 better than G33? Can you recommand a Asus that use this chipset? There are like a million models in dabs/ebuyers website.

does 8800GT/GTS work straight out of the box? or do I need some hacked driver / manual patches for that?

Thanks for the reply btw.