update Leopard Flat Image to EFI fail -- always reboot

David Chen

11 posts in this topic

In my asrock Conroe1333DVI/H 2.0, Leopard Flat image runs perfect. However, I would like to try the EFI and wish to enjoy the 10.5.1. So, I follow the http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

to do install the vanilla kernel and EFI loader. But, after I finish all process, I always suffer reboot.

During bootup, I use "-v -f" in darwin loader. Then, loader (or kernel) will rebuild

the kext cache (display a lot of printouts for kexts). After that, 2 or 3 lines start

with EFI appear than screen become black in very short time (I can't read these

strings, but I just see they are start by "EFI...", seems to tell end user the

EFI loader just start, but not sure),

Than, nothing appear on screen and my PC reboot automatically in 2-3 seconds.

I guess maybe the darwin EFI patch and my bios are not compatible.

But I'm not sure. I use EFI 5.1.

I wish to know, is this issue caued by EFI loader, or by the

kernel+kexts?

. . did you install the AppleSMBIOS.kext included in the PC_EFI v5.1 package?
Yes. I try a lot of combinations.- strict follow the guide.- remove dsmos.kext- remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext (In order to enter -s with patched kernel, this should be removed)- remove ApplePowermanagement....kext (I can't remember the exact. name -- avoid warning message HPET.... display every screen in single user mode)- .... (I can't remember all the detail) Because none of these works (but they are work from the post of many people)So, I can only doubt the EFI extension.Normally, if I got kext issue, I still can see error message by "-v" (kernel panic with register and what kext cause this kernel panic). But, nothing shown on screen and reboot.
After EFI only kernel panic. I must install vanilla kernel + dsmos.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext. AppleSMBios.kext i install from EFI package.
Follow the guide, the EFI is patched in the final procedure.One question. If you just put vanilla kernel and dsmos.kext,what appear in your screen (with -v)? Kernel Panic with register dump?

. . if you have followed a guide & have the correct combination of kexts for your kernel, then the most likely issue [since the bootloader can clearly find your kernel] is that you've failed to set the correct permissions to either the kernel &/or one or more kexts.

Did you by any chance download one or more of these files onto a Leo install? . . if so, the issue might well be that they have the 'com.apple.quarantine' extended attribute.

Follow the guide, the EFI is patched in the final procedure.One question. If you just put vanilla kernel and dsmos.kext,what appear in your screen (with -v)? Kernel Panic with register dump?

If I put only vanilla kernel and dsmos i have problem with Appleacpiplatform.kext (from flat image). If i put oryginal leopard boot now coretly. Also i replace smbios from EFI.

. . if you have followed a guide & have the correct combination of kexts for your kernel, then the most likely issue [since the bootloader can clearly find your kernel] is that you've failed to set the correct permissions to either the kernel &/or one or more kexts.

Did you by any chance download one or more of these files onto a Leo install? . . if so, the issue might well be that they have the 'com.apple.quarantine' extended attribute.

Permissions and owner/group of these kexts are checked. All of these are good.

For "com.apple.quarantine" extended attribute, I use "xattr" to check and none of my

kexts with this attribute.

By the way, I'm using a 2.5 inch 20G USB external disk to do these. And, the Darwin/x86 loader version is v5.0.132.

Try EFI 4.0 but still the same. And change BIOS to other version do not help.

I think, normally user will see "EFI...." display in boot loader. Than, if "-v" is included, user should see the kernel clear screen and dump the boot messages. But, I just see clear screen, than reboot in 3 seconds without any word on screen.