I need some help with an XP install

Blue@Heart

3 posts in this topic

Well folks I'm a little stuck and lost for ideas....

I came here looking for more info on OSx86 (thanks to that great post on lifehacker a couple of days ago) and on that same day my windows system folder decided to frag itself. So it's time to reinstall xp so that I can be the uber bad villian and find an "educational use" copy of osx86 10.5.1....

so I pop in my xp disc and boot into it. When it gets to the point where you set up partitions, it gives me four options that say "there is no disc in the drive" and reboots when I press a key.

after about two hours of this I figure out that it's trying to install windows to my internal usb cardreader....I uplug it and try again.....now it's giving me a message that says that no hard drive exists in the system...

Things tried:

-It's not the drive: It's happening if I put other hard drives in

-The drive is IDE not Sata

-Jumpers are correct: drive is master optical slave, tried switching the two and it didn't affect things

-It's not the IDE cable tried two different ones

-Clearing CMOS made no difference

I did have a pci IDE controller card installed prior to the attempt to reinstall windows however I have removed that, one optical drive, and the other two hard drives, leaving the bare minimum single hard drive and single optical drive for the XP install.

I plan to install the PCI card under windows once it's up and running.

I'm really stuck, and I appreciate all the knowledge I've gleaned so far with regards to OSx86 so much that I can't wait to try it. But I'm stuck here and I don't know where else to ask, thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

Well folks I'm a little stuck and lost for ideas....

I came here looking for more info on OSx86 (thanks to that great post on lifehacker a couple of days ago) and on that same day my windows system folder decided to frag itself. So it's time to reinstall xp so that I can be the uber bad villian and find an "educational use" copy of osx86 10.5.1....

so I pop in my xp disc and boot into it. When it gets to the point where you set up partitions, it gives me four options that say "there is no disc in the drive" and reboots when I press a key.

after about two hours of this I figure out that it's trying to install windows to my internal usb cardreader....I uplug it and try again.....now it's giving me a message that says that no hard drive exists in the system...

Things tried:

-It's not the drive: It's happening if I put other hard drives in

-The drive is IDE not Sata

-Jumpers are correct: drive is master optical slave, tried switching the two and it didn't affect things

-It's not the IDE cable tried two different ones

-Clearing CMOS made no difference

I did have a pci IDE controller card installed prior to the attempt to reinstall windows however I have removed that, one optical drive, and the other two hard drives, leaving the bare minimum single hard drive and single optical drive for the XP install.

I plan to install the PCI card under windows once it's up and running.

I'm really stuck, and I appreciate all the knowledge I've gleaned so far with regards to OSx86 so much that I can't wait to try it. But I'm stuck here and I don't know where else to ask, thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

some other bits to check: Ide cable in the right way? Master Ide on motherboard/master on cable and jumper.

Have you tried no jumper, after clearing the cmos did you load fail safe settings? Does your MB see the HD on bios startup? What state is the HD in Ie; formatted, MBR formatted etc.......