[Guide] Installing Leopard on a P5B-Plus

Doug the Impaler

5 posts in this topic

What you need:

Software:

ToH or BrazilMac Leopard DVD (I ended up using ToH because it boots faster on my machine)

The "Make Leopard Bootable" DVD (because it's faster to boot that, install, then boot Leopard and install than it is to play in the terminal)

The kexts from this thread

The 10.5.1 update

Pacifist

Hardware:

SATA DVD+/-RW

SATA hard drive

A LAN card compatible with OS X (I am using tulip.kext 1.0.3 with a Linksys LNE100TX v5)

The rest of the machine (in my case, an E2140, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and a GeForce 7600GS)

Before you begin

There are some BIOS settings that NEED done with the P5B-Plus. The SATA controller needs to be in AHCI mode. The onboard serial port needs *enabled* (or else you get stuck at a screen that says "Already have another Mac?")

Prepare your hard drive

I use two hard drives: I have an 80GB hard drive with Windows XP on it and Windows is all that's on there. I have a 320GB hard drive with my downloaded stuff. I have a second 320GB hard drive I'm using OS X on.

1.) Burn the "Make Leopard Bootable" ISO to either CD or DVD. It's small enough for a CD but it boots faster on a DVD-R for some reason.

2.) Boot from the DVD. Just restart the machine, hit F8 at the POST screen, and select the DVD drive.

3.) Run through the "Make Leopard Bootable" installer until it asks you for a volume.

4.) Go to Utilities on the menu and select Disk Utility.

5.) Select your hard drive and partition it. I have one huge partition because I can copy stuff to my other 320GB hard drive using NTFS-3g

6.) Close Disk Utility, finish the install. Click reboot.

Install Leopard

It's pretty much a brain-dead process.

1.) Boot from the DVD.

2.) Run through the installer, selecting your partition. Yes, it looks removable. Yes, we'll fix that later.

3.) Before clicking Install, you probably need to customize and deselect everything but Essential System Software. Your DVD probably doesn't have the languages, Printer stuff, or anything like that

4.) Reboot

BAM You're in leopard. I took this opportunity to modify boot.ini and install the chain0 loader. It's on the OSX86 Project Wiki and it's the easiest boot loader ever. Since you're on two physical disks, all you have to do is add the "C:\chain0" line to boot.ini, then be sure to give yourself ample time in the boot loader. It's easy and outside the scope of this lesson so I'll say no more.

Install your drivers

Now, when you boot into Leopard, you'll notice that none of your hardware works - graphics are software, no sound, no LAN, no nothing. That's where the kexts linked above come in. There's a script in the ZIP but we're not going to use that. Here's what we're going to do (and yes it involves typing).

1.) Extract the ZIP file to your desktop and move the Files folder right to root of the drive.

1a.) If you have your networking kext ready, copy it to the extensions folder inside the files folder, replacing what's there. I put tulip.kext there.

2.) Open the Terminal

3.) type the stuff in the code tags exactly how it appears, pressing Enter after each line

cd /files/extensions

sudo cp -R *.kext /System/Library/Extensions

You'll be prompted for your password. Type it. If you're prompted to overwrite, do so (I don't think you will be, but you might).

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

That line is actually unnecessary, as Leopard has some extra safeguards about rebuilding the kext cache, but I do it to make sure all the kexts are loaded cleanly.

4.) Reboot

Welcome to Leopard

At this point, everything should work - go to the System Profiler and verify that QE/CI is turned on. Go to the System Preferences --> Sound choice --> Sound Effects tab and make sure your audio is seen.

The network took a little tiny bit of extra work for me. On System Preferences, go to Network. You'll see your Ethernet connection (if all went well) but it might say there's no IP address. Highlight it then click the gear-looking button for a dropdown. Choose to deactivate the service, then go back and re-activate it. After a couple of seconds, at least my network card got an IP address, and if you installed your kexts correctly, so will you.

Hackintosh vets will notice that I never repaired permissions. That's again because of Leopards kextcache upkeep being better than Tiger's - I let the OS do it for me.

Now go to Apple's site and get the 10.5.1 update. Also grab a shareware utility called Pacifist. I spent the money to register this gem, and you should, too. You can use Pacifist to open the MPKG file in the 10.5.1 DMG and select to install everything EXCEPT the kernel. You should shift-click to select everything then Cmd+Click to deselect that Kernel entry. Then let it install everything else. If you do get the EFI bootloader running, I'd be interested in hearing about the steps you took and what files you replaced, but for now, I'm content to wait for hacked 10.5.1 kernels, as everything runs fine that I can tell on the 10.5 kernel.

At that point, I installed everything else I'd normally have on my Mac - iLife, MSOffice 2004, etc. Happy Mac'ing!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...