Quay Program used for Stacks Dock fix

Yossarian

4 posts in this topic

So I've tried out Quay. I like it as a fix / modification for the Leopard Stacks. But I sure wish that this was just part of the OS. Hopefully, one day soon, Apple will realize their mistake and release an update that integrates this into Leopard.

picture1ah3.th.png

In Tiger if you had a folder on the right side of your dock (near the trash), if you control click on the folder (like your applications folder), a hierarchal menu appears that you can navigate through. This allowed for easy access to applications that live within folders inside your application folder (like in your utilities folder).

Now in Leopard, when you drag a folder onto your dock, you get Stacks. This is purely eye candy that has less functionality than the dock folder behavior in Tiger.

When you click on the folder you get a "fan" or a "grid". The fan is similar to the Tiger Dock Folder functionality. It is an up-down menu of a select group of icons from your folder. The grid is also a select group of icons, but it is a square grid, and still is limited in the amount of programs, documents, etc that you can access.

Also, when you click on folders within the Stacks, it opens that folder in the finder window. As opposed to Tiger, when another menu would appear (Think Windows "All Programs" Menu).

Here are some image links I found on google images:

Leopard Stacks Fan

Leopard Stacks Grid

Tiger Dock Folder Functionality